Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The €100 barrier is broken

Options
  • 06-03-2003 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Nope, Paul Mc Cartney was also selling at 105 as well! €105 to go to Vicar St!!! Not a great venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

F£$King disgrace!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Originally posted by Trev M
    F£$King disgrace!

word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

thats bloody well beyond ridiculous! you could afford to go to at least 5 other gigs for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I would love to see neil young but I refuse to pay(not that I could aford it if I wanted) that kind of money for a gig on pricipal.

I mean witnness is about that price and despite the fact there is some crap bands there is usally about 10 a day who are fairly good.

Why does he need to charge this he has been going for 35+ years and had success so he cant be that short of cash.

the only explanation I can think of is he heard six's version of after the goldrush and needs the money to buy his copyright back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

its a farce,vicar st are to blame as well.do up the place get mostly 3rd rate acts(ie joe dolan) and then sting the public for 105 euros which means nearer to 110 when they do get someone decent.

vicar st is a good venue,but by the way its going with over the odds prices and mostly crap and 3rd rate american and irish joe soap bands,it wont last too much longer.what a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

its a fu'cking disgrace, but people will buy tickets. us Irish will lie down a take any kind of price hike that any **** throws at us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Neil young is probably one of my favourite evr solo artists his gig in the point a few years ago was amazing BUT as was said before out of principle i'd never pay that much to see one person play
    To put it into perspective its a weeks rent or go to a gig?!!!!!!!!

Item in The Irish Times today comparing the price of tickets for Paul Mc Cartney accross your Europe. It's an expensive gig no mater where you live but Ireland does emerge as one of the most expensive places to see the concert - especially as your standing in the middle of a show jumping arena with make shift facilities!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Alibaba01

Lots of people are to blame over the high ticket costs but there is only one real culprit MCD! Vicar street will get paid for the venue as normal, as will all it's staff. They'll probably bump up the drink prices on the night but who can blame them! MCD have long been holding Irish people to ransom over the prices of their gigs. If I had tons of money I'd love to undercut them but as it is there is no real competition in the promotions arena in Ireland and thats not likely to change unless we stop paying such rediculous prices!

• Advertisement

Well, it's very easy to blame MCD but it's hardly the answer. Especially as both the Mc Cartney and Young gigs are both promoted by Aikens - MCDs competitor. Slane is €59.50 per ticket and Aiken/Mean Fiddler are charging the same for Metallica. Looks like this is a market where there will never be any price competition!

In fairness to MCD - and I am not an employee - they have consistently brought over good artists and lets face it, are bloody good at what they do. It would appear that the market are happy to pay what they are charging. You also have to consider the cost of staging concerts in this country and the transportation of equipment. None of this is cheap and Irish labour charges ain't cheap either. We live in expensive country!

The other side of the coin is that there are many artists who are more than happy to charge a premium for their performances. I don't hear them complaining about ticket prices as they are ultimately the beneficiary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

if it's in vicar st, mcd have nothing to do with the gig, it'll be aiken promotions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Muppet Monarchy

Neil Young will have a set fee, which depends on transport costs, hotel prices - god knows what else. These things are expensive in Ireland. Also - it's in Vicar St. ... capacity what, 2500? Now, you could go see him in the RDS or somewhere and pay 40 to stand 500 yards away from the stage....the point is that it's in one of them there 'intimate' venues where you aren't herded in and out like cattle. Hence the price. It's still fairly ridiculous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I would LOVE to go and am quite bitter. But even if i did have the money I don't think i'd pay it - intimate venue, fair enough but come on the price is unprecedented and I think it's ridiculous to expect your fans to fork over that kind of money to see you. It's either ridiculously arrogant or just plain greedy.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Originally posted by lamda
    I think it's ridiculous to expect your fans to fork over that kind of money to see you. It's either ridiculously arrogant or just plain greedy.:mad:

or Maybe they expect most of Neil Youngs and indeed Paul McCartneys fans to have real jobs that pay very real money!!!!! I think you know where I'm going with this one.....
    ;)
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Don't forget the cost of drinks, etc. at the venue.

Ordinary pub prices are high enough, but to pay an additional premium for warm lager slopping over the rim of a plastic glass??? After queueing for 30 minutes??? No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Oh, boohoo! And In my day you could see two movies for a nickel and still have changes for a pint afterwards, yadda , yadda, yadda....

Prices go up, fact of life. If you don't think Neil Young's worth that then don't buy a ticket. That'll say more to the pricefixers than any amount of moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Alibaba
    Vicar street will get paid for the venue as normal, as will all it's staff. They'll probably bump up the drink prices on the night but who can blame them!

no they wont! you can't do that for one night!

muppet monarchy-vicar st holda 1,600 standing and as this is a sit down gig it'll be more like 1,100-1,200.

pigman> yeah....i think i agree. i'd pay that kind of money to see someone i really love if i thought it'd be unlikely i'd see them again.

i t's in the middle of exams, so i prob wont get to work this one :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

All the tickets went in 5 minutes!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

is he playing 3 nights now?
    what dates? i know the 11th is one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

When i'm a big star i'm going to charge 200, and nobody will come to my gigs and i won't be able to support my drug habbit and i'll die in a B&B some were in the country....

i can dream can't i?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 StrokesQueen

i'll give you a good reason why the tickets "sold out" in 5 mins....the concert and venue promoters took most of them for themselves . According to a friend in Ticketmaster, they never even went on sale to the public.
    It's an outrage if you ask me.

So it looks like the poor punters are subsidising those tickets that the venue/promoter took!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭YoungNastyMan

There you go.

It is rediculous, but thats the way it is. At the end of the day it's Neil Young playing to a crowd of 1000. You'll never forget it.

Advertisement