Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axl Rose - Idiot?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Bruce DIckenson beats them all :cool:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Bruce DIckenson beats them all :cool:
    Matt Barlow kicks his ass. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Megadude

Look, Axl was a great Rock singer in his day. Now he's fat, old, s h i t, and mad. He was alot better than Layne Staley, but nowhere near Robert Plant.

All of these Metal bands singers, like Korn's and System of a Down are a bunch of Spa's. Cliched whoo-ers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well Robert Plant ain't looking or sounding the best these days, but i agree, he is a better song writer, and singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

Originally posted by kingconor
    , Staley could only sing in a grungey style, whereas Axl, he could sing ballads, out & out rock, rock n roll, punk,

theres my point proven. you dont know a thing about alice in chains if you think that. One of the best ballads ever written was sung to prefection by Layne - Nutshell. He also sung an enitre album of ballds under the band name of Mad Season (which Mike McCready of PJ is also on) all brilliantly. so wrong there. Out and out rock? look no further than the entire Facelift album. it is not a grunge album by ear, it is a rock album. rock n roll is hard to define but if u told me a song that axl sings like that i could tell u one layne does better no doubt. as for punk, id say axl has it. AiC just didnt do punk. + axl has the whiney voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jack Lukeman - Best Male Voice that I have ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    In 1989, Rose coerced the band into recording One in a Million - a song that depicted homosexuals as immoral disease-spreaders and the entire Afro-American population as a bunch of gold-chain-wearing thieves.

lol...wata nutcase !!

1. That track appears on 'GNR Lies' which was released in November 1988 so the reporter is incorrect to say it was recorded in 1989.
    2. On the cover of 'Lies' Axl passes off 'One in a Million' as a bit of a joke but anyone who's heard it would probably conclude that what he's singing are his genuine opinions.

Originally posted by Darkillion
    but if u told me a song that axl sings like that i could tell u one layne does better no doubt. as for punk, id say axl has it. AiC just didnt do punk. + axl has the whiney voice.

Garden of Eden
    You could be mine
    Sympathy for the devil
    Locomotive (I'd love to see Layne do three part octave harmony without effects, that is, normal voice, one octave higher, and then two octaves lower than his normal voice, for the chorus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

Originally posted by Giblet
    Garden of Eden
    You could be mine
    Sympathy for the devil
    Locomotive (I'd love to see Layne do three part octave harmony without effects, that is, normal voice, one octave higher, and then two octaves lower than his normal voice, for the chorus)

i have only heard You Could Be Mine out of that, and i think its there best song ever. however, look towards Facelift again for singing like that. Man In The Box or We Die Young much the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GothicBarbie

He is SUCH an asshole! How can they still call them Guns n' roses when theirs no slash!! slash made that band NOT axl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

GnR at the VMA's was not the hottest (maybe it was cos he had to run down the street to get into the building hehe? :) )
    But saying Buckethead is ****e cos he wears a kfc bucket on his head....I think you got to hear him play to judge. he's unbelievable on the guitar, he does his own 10min solo during the shows they play and he's friggin awesome through nightrain and rips through all the others. I dunno if you could compare him to slash tho, their styles are just different.
    Axl has lost his voice? From what I've heard, I thought his voice was really good. especially when you compare it to the VMAs. he sounded totally out of breath at that thing. but the live concerts they played at in the US (for the ones he turned up to ;) ) he really did sound good. he can still rip through all the old songs and I think he improves on them, lie n let die for example, for anyone who's heard him sing it at Cleveland or Pittsburgh.
    He's an idiot for not releasing the forever delayed Chinese Democracy album tho. still not out, but they say it will appear sometime this year lol. may or july is what's going around.
    And anyone heard the new Knockin' On Heavens door they sing, axl changed it to Bob Dylan style...I kinda like it, different but still very good.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I honestly think Zakk Wylde would have been a better replacement for Slash than Buckethead. Zakk is as close as you would get to Slash's image IMO.

I do believe that Axl did sound shit at the VMA's because he wasn't prepared for it, I have heard some bootlegs and he sounds grand. He doesn't quite have the rough edge anymore, but he can still hit high notes.

Buckethead does not suit GNR, he might suit his own solo projects instrumental things that he does all the time. but not GNR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Saw G'n'R at Slane all those years ago... they were a joke - quite possibly the worst 'stadium' band I've ever seen. Axl changed his outfit (spandex shorts and matching leather jacket) about 7 times. Yawn... Faith no More blew them off the stage...

Appetite was amazing. Blew the LA rock scene apart - crazy rebel drugtaking hard living madness. Put an end to the likes of Motley crud and all that buffount crap. Lies was kinda enjoyable too - and I had no problem with the One in a Million song (even though I'm a queer loving, nighra hugging hippy) because its so obviously an assumed role...

Ahh... the terrible havoc success wreacks on a band... G'n'R fell victim to their own success - everything after Appetite was pure rubbish. There may have been one or two good tracks (You could be mine) but nothign that would ahve gained them any notice if they hadn't already been famous...

And as for the thread - Axl Rose is the new Howard Hughes... I'm surprised he's not mates with Micheal Jackson and David Blane and all those other fame freaks... what a twat. Doesn't take away from his voice though - in his prime it was a great rawk voice with superb range..

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

buckethead doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the band. but they sure do play the hell out of the old songs on tour. I've heard alot of the bootlegs too, with the soundboard from pittsburgh and cleveland being real good. I liked the 3 of the new songs they have been singing too, I didn't really like Riad And The Bedouins and Silkworms just sucked bad. Am still looking forward to the new album though. will to good to hear some different music from all this nu-metal stuff lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

okay i cant not comment on this any more.
    take it from me lads and lassies(as I myself have been singing as close to plant and rose and johnson and dickinson and todd and neil and tyler as best i can for the last few years), phew, that axl rose may be a seriously troubled individual incapable of keeping his private life under wraps, but was , and is still a serious singer.

In axls early career 1985 86 he still had a bit of his kids voice left, the kind you hear on the live tracks on Lies. He had not been singing week in week out at this stage for that long and so, still had it. His voice then changed in 87 88 and matured a little, getting rougher and raspier. He could still do his high pitched ****, but not so much of it, and not without breaks. This was the effect of the club scene and singing night after night. Live, he tired vocally very quickly. This was his "appetite" voice.
    1990 and 91 92 were more difficult for axl vocally, i heard he had an operation on his cords around this time. but anyway you can hear a changed man with less energy on the illusions. Vocally his voice even sounds older. Alot of the screeches and stuff are not clean like on appetite. Rumour has it he would come in, do 1 take for a song , then go. He wasn't able to do alot.

Fast Forward to 2000. Axls return to the stage with a new band. He is much healthier, and fitter. The change vocally is huge. The rasp is gone. The range is even higher. His cords are clean and healthy. He is capable of singing a ****ing 3 hour show. In 88, he could barely manage 40 minutes. Any singer today would struggle bigtime to sing for this long. Well, sing the same demanding style of the Guns songs for that long that is. I miss the rasp bigtime though, but it is his health talking.

Let me tell you, seriously, as an all round singer, Axl Rose is probably the best of all time.

Power, Range, Style, Presence. He has/d it all...(!)

ps this picture is at the vmas in 88, the best vocal performance he ever had

take it from me lads and lassies(as I myself have been singing as close to plant and rose and johnson and dickinson and todd and neil and tyler as best i can for the last few years), phew....

that's gotta be the funniest thing I've ever read....

Hows the career going? *ROFL*

Why is it funny, Curadh is a fucking awesome singer. Has a whole Brian Johnson, Axl Rose thing there, and he pulls it off easily.

You currently negotiating his world tour then?

*a word to the wiswguy... humility

I don't see your problem here, you see he is a good singer, commenting on a good singer, from his own experience. If you think he is blowing his own horn, then thats more to do with you than him. I'm sure he could back it up.

• Advertisement

I'm sure he's wonderful... regardless of how 'great' he sings, you don't need to be a singer of any type to have an opinion on Axl Rose's singing - if you read previous posts you'll see that I actually credit Rose with some talent... prefacing a post with a

'heres the final word gentlemen an take it from me because I am a pompous twat who likes to suck his own cock in public'

is at best foolish and smacks of an ego bereft of any self-analytical skills whatsoever...

Which is a lot like Axl Rose I guess... maybe he has more in common with him than he thinks?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Killah_B
    I'm sure he's wonderful... regardless of how 'great' he sings, you don't need to be a singer of any type to have an opinion on Axl Rose's singing -

No you don't need to be a singer to have an opinion on someones singing.

Generally I'd take a singers opinion on another singers abilities over someone's like yourself, as they know a little bit more about singing than you would (unless you're a singer) so they have a "more informed" opinion.

See... easy once you think about it!

ah yeah - my choirboy past catches up with me, I knew it always would...

8th grade in music through, yes singing, by the age of 14 (when my voice broke - an eagerly awaited event as 14 is pretty late) may give my opinion more validity in your eyes, but I didn't think it warranted a mention... unlike your rock steady pal who figures playing a few gigs and smoking a few joints and being 'serious' about his 'art' somehow gives him a platform to pontificate from. I'm all for an exhange of opinions, and yes, informed and educated opinions carry more weight than others, but please, let's practice open debate rather than 'here is the size of my cock so I know more than you' pronouncements...

I'm not debating blowyourowntrumpet guys singing ability - he may be great for all I know, I'm just saying it wasn't necessary for him to big himself up in such a hammy way for his post to carry any more validity - His point was well made and informed - his preface to it was the brayings of the biggest donkey in the paddock....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

ah yeah - my choirboy past catches up with me, I knew it always would...

8th grade in music through, yes singing, by the age of 14 (when my voice broke - an eagerly awaited event as 14 is pretty late) may give my opinion more validity in your eyes, but I didn't think it warranted a mention...
    In fairness, it didn't. How are those gonads now? Take care and mind they don't ascend again!

Simple equation here: Intelligence combined with a good knowledge of a subject makes for a credible opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

wow, just checked this. killah bee, take it easy, you sound like a bulldog with a bumble bee stuck in his mouth.
    Thanks for the support Giblet, I'm working on getting a few tunes online soon enough. Nice of the good Doctor to lend a hand too.

Okay yes it did sound a little blow your own trumpet, but this is the way I was looking at it. I'm used to checking in on Guns n Roses message boards and just seeing hundreds of posts about Axl Roses singing made by joe soap who with a quick to judge attitude voices a highly uninformed opinion on the likes of the infamous Vma '03 performance, just like what happened here on boards. Say we were talking about a rainbow and a few people didnt like the colours, that would be their opinion, however uninformed, and would probably make rainbow researchers (15 year old dopeheads under a tree come to mind) of the world a little frustrated with the modern world for a while, knowing what goes in to the colours coming together so nicely. You see, I would consider it an informed opinion to be taken whatever way you want mr. bee. Your tastes are your own.

Dr loon, Giblet, ColinM etc etc...

Read what I said... read what Curadh said... to be honest, he makes far more cogent points than any of you guys... I was just having a go at his delivery - if you read his post above I think he took it pretty well, and I shall play my part by desisting from further involvment...

I read what you said just fine. You mocked him (uncleverly) using tasteless and unoriginal language. I'm surprised your comments have not been edited by a moderator. Here's what you said if you need a reminder:
    [clumsily attempting to paraphrase curadh] 'heres the final word gentlemen an take it from me because I am a pompous twat who likes to suck his own cock in public'

The fact that he reponded reasonably and politely is no reflection on you. He's obviously someone who's mature enough to ignore mal-formed insults from a twelve year-old special olympian like yourself.

As you've just said you've had your final word on this thread, so hope I can expect that you will at least be consistent and keep your gob shut.

If you do post here again, make sure you include a grovelling apology to curadh. Just because he didn't ask for one doesn't mean that one isn't necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jesus, ColinM.

It's a perfectly valid arguement Killah_B is making. And if I was you, I wouldn't accuse someone of mocking a person, only to turn around and call someone "a twelve year-old special olympian like yourself."

Frankly, someone who claims to know what should and shouldn't be moderated, tells people to keep their gobs shut, and makes demands of apologies from other posters, is far more desrving of having their posts edited than someone engaging in a rather interesting discussion.

Do I make myself clear?

Anyway...

This:
    take it from me lads and lassies(as I myself have been singing as close to plant and rose and johnson and dickinson and todd and neil and tyler as best i can for the last few years), phew....

And this:
    I can play ANYTHING

See the comparison?

Any questions?

I honestly can't see how you'd ravenoulsy attack one form of horn-blowing and then defend another, Giblet.

Yeah, killah sent me a PM which explained to me how wrong I was. I wish you could have seen it cos it totally changed my mind on the whole thing, and now I realise that I was actually guilty of sucking my own cock in public as well.

I think I must have been having a woman's period or something earlier.

• Advertisement

Simple Angelwhore, I've jammed with curadh!

Advertisement