Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ADSL chipset enables speeds of 20Mbps

Options
  • 06-03-2003 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Link here

BROADBAND CHIPSET MANUFACTURER Centillium Communications has launched a new ADSL chipset that will make the Net fly. The company's new Palladia 210 chipset for ADSL modems can reach speeds of up to 20Mbps. It will probably take a while to filter down to the average end user but the new chipset points the way that Internet connections are headed. It was only a few years ago that 10Mbps was the speed of a normal LAN. The downside is that telcos will have to install new kit at your local exchange before you can get it.

The new chipset is an all-in-one design with USB, Ethernet and ADSL built onto a chip with a MIPS processor. The processor allows the use of an embedded version of Linux to control the ADSL modem. Depending on the end customer, the chip can be used to make a USB modem or an ADSL Ethernet router.

To give you an idea of the speed, a modem equipped with the 210 would be capable of downloading files at over 2 megabytes per second. That's a whole CD's worth of information in five and a half minutes or an entire DVD in forty minutes. It brings the possibility of real-time streaming of high quality video, something that movie studios are keen on and video rental companies are frightened witless about.

so when can i get eirom to install this?:rolleyes:
    tibble

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Interesting but I dont think the likes of Eircom will ever offer a 20mbps service. Their top end service is only 4mbps, although the Alcatel USB modem they supply can be used for speeds up to 8mbps downstream and 832kbps upstream.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Chief---
    Interesting but I dont think the likes of Eircom will ever offer a 20mbps service. Their top end service is only 4mbps, although the Alcatel USB modem they supply can be used for speeds up to 8mbps downstream and 832kbps upstream.

Chief.

The top end one is 1Mbps

I have the 1MB option, I connect at 4Mbps.

Image2.jpg

It's capped on the ASAM, so it's impossible.
    That's just Windows mis-reporting the connection speed. I've seen the Alcatel USB modem's diagnostics saying it's connected at 8Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yeah, thats the same as Windows saying you connected at 115,200 bps but you are on a 56k connection. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Always get confused with my bits and bytes tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

damn those urban myths

Originally posted by santalives
    damn those urban myths

What??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

it means it connects to your modem at 4mb or 8mb it doesnt actualy connect to the web or DSLAM at that speed my Powernet modems connects at 10mb and i dont get anywhere near that

Advertisement