Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can see Internet, can't see Network : Windows XP on Wireless LAN

Options
  • 06-03-2003 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

My Windows XP laptop is connected to a Wireless LAN in my office. I can access the Internet but cannot access the shared resources on the Windows network itself. The other computers (both Windows 2000 SP3 and Windows XP Pro) can access both the Internet and Network without problems.

When I try to activate the Client for Microsoft Networks on my Wireless LAN connection, it won't let me, saying "Your current selection will also disable the following components: Client for Microsoft Networks". I do not now have a firewall installed.

Below is the chat session I had with a Microsoft tech monkey...:

A new chat session has started.
    The chat session has been accepted.

{Scott} Welcome to Microsoft Services.

{Scott} In the unlikely event that we lose this connection, rest assured your incident has been submitted and a response will be posted via Microsoft Online Assisted Support under the section ‘View my support requests’. Please do not resubmit this same incident.

{Scott} Depending on the nature of your incident, it may not be possible to resolve it via this Chat session. Most incidents should be resolved after 15-20 minutes, however in order to best serve you after this time, your incident may need to be researched and escalated outside Chat. A response will be posted via the Microsoft Online Assisted Support under the section ‘View my support requests’.

{Niall_O'Keeffe} Hello Scott

{Scott} Hi, just looking at your case

{Niall_O'Keeffe} Thank you

{Scott} Airport is a Mac standard - I'm not too sure it is designed to link in with a standard 802.11 network on PC. I think it may be better to talk to Apple about this as we wouldn't really have any information on Airport

{Niall_O'Keeffe} It works fine on all the other machines on the network. It is standard 802.11b

{Niall_O'Keeffe} In fact, I've just installed a new XP laptop on our network. All I had to do was stick in a wireless lan card, it recognised it, found the network and connected to both it and the Internet. which was nice. :) but I still cant figure out why it wont let me activate client for microsoft networks on my own xp laptop

{Niall_O'Keeffe} that seems to be the crux of the problem

{Niall_O'Keeffe} are you still there?

{Scott} I have tried to see if there is anything relating to this but can't find anything. What other protocols are showing?

{Niall_O'Keeffe} in the properties of the wireless connection I have Client for Microsoft Network [unchecked], File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks [unchecked] and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) [checked]

{Niall_O'Keeffe} When I put a check in "Client for Microsoft Networks" and click OK a box pops up warning me that "Your current selection will also disable the following components: Client for Microsoft Networks / Are you sure (etc.)?"

{Niall_O'Keeffe} So I don't think it's really an issue with the hub itself, more so my network connection settings and the fact that Windows, for some reason, won't let me activate the Client for Microsoft Networks.

{Scott} It has to be something related to the Apple Airport though - If it is seeing Macs then it has customised Client for Microsoft Networks because there is no support for Appletalk in Windows XP.

{Niall_O'Keeffe} The Mac isnt using AppleTalk, just TCP/IP

{Niall_O'Keeffe} Its only seeing Mac's by IP address (I can FTP to a Mac). It's not seeing the Windows boxes at all but I put that down to the Client for MS Networks not being active.

{Scott} just seeing if i can find anything

{Niall_O'Keeffe} Ok thanks. I hope I've explained it clearly enough. Basically, when I try to activate the Client for MS Networks so that I can communicate with the other Windows machines on the network, it wont let me.

{Niall_O'Keeffe} There are 4 Windows 2000 (SP3) machines and one other Windows XP machine on the network, all of which are working fine.

{Scott} Do you have firewall/antivirus software on the latop as quite often we have people with network problems caused by that

{Niall_O'Keeffe} Yes, I have Tiny Personal Firewall installed

{Niall_O'Keeffe} Is this an unnecessary program? Should Windows XP's built in firewall capabilities be enough?

{Scott} I would suggest uninstalling that, which has often resolved problems. Earlier on another customer found his firewall was blocking network access

{Niall_O'Keeffe} Understood. Could the firewall be stopping Windows from activating the Client for MS Networks then?

{Scott} I don't know really but generally we need to rule out non-microsoft software before we can say whether it is an issue with Windows

{Niall_O'Keeffe} right. well I've disabled the firewall for the moment.

{Niall_O'Keeffe} and it's still saying the same thing when I try to activate the client for ms networks.

{Niall_O'Keeffe} Is there any way I can allow a professional to try to fix this via remote control?

{Niall_O'Keeffe} [uninstalled Tiny Personal Firewall] - it wants me to restart the computer

{Scott} ok - You can get back to us later

{Niall_O'Keeffe} well I chose not to reboot

{Scott} Sorry, I have to end here for now but please return later

Uninstalled Tiny Personal Firewall, rebooted, - problem still there.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

make sure that xp's built in personal firewall isnt activated, i've always had problems connecting to the company network and other machines if this is enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

XP's own firewall isn't activated on that connection. It makes no difference - Windows still wont let me activate "Client for Microsoft Networks" :(

Incidentally - dont know if it makes any difference, but when I go to the properties of the connection, hit the 'support' tab and click the "Repair" button, it pops up with a box saying:
    The following steps of the operation failed:
    Flushing the ARP cache.
    Purging and reloading the remote cache name table of NetBT.
    Sending Name Release packets to WINS and then starting Refresh.

Please contact your network administrator or ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rmx

hi, i am getting a similar error from a dlink WAP. except mine is on a wired pc. when i google the error message, this is the only matching page. please tell me you found an answer.

this is on an msi k7d master-l. i am using the onboard nic. i was networked fine last week before i pulled my gig-e card to loan to a friend. i don't why, but i want to get this working. i could probably throw any old nic in my box and be on my way, but i would love to resolve this. thanks, bobby

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Do you have XP assinging IP address dynamically or do you have a set IP address configured. I had problems with this with a home network. Cannot remember the exact details of how I fixed it but I basically assigned it a static IP address and this solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

have you tried uninstalling the NIC and reinstalling it?

also I found this on Microsofts website

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314067
    Clearing the ARP Cache by Using the Arp Tool
    If you can ping both the loopback address (127.0.0.1) and your own IP address, but you cannot ping any other IP addresses, try clearing out the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) cache. This can be done by using the Arp tool. Use arp -a or arp -g to display the cache entries. Use arp -d IP address to delete the entries. To flush the ARP cache, use the following command:

netsh interface ip delete arpcach

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Antonio

Hi, I read your post:

"When I try to activate the Client for Microsoft Networks on my Wireless LAN connection, it won't let me, saying "Your current selection will also disable the following components: Client for Microsoft Networks". I do not now have a firewall installed."

I have the same exact problem but I am on a 2 PC and 1 MAC non-wireless network... I am having the exact same problem as you describe in your posts with my Win XP PC... I cannot find anything else about this problem online...

Can you or someone else please be kind enough to shade some light to this...?

Thanks infinitely to whoever can.

"have you tried uninstalling the NIC and reinstalling it?"

Sorry for the ignorance but what does NIC stand for...?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Antonio
    Sorry for the ignorance but what does NIC stand for...?
    Thanks.
    Network Interface Card

"have you tried uninstalling the NIC and reinstalling it?"

Does this mean to physically remover the card and put it back?

Thanks. Your reply is appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i have had the same problem and i couldnt solve it, i also tryed reinstalling nic but that didnt work.

But i can access the net throw the net work but m laptop can detect the other pc but cant access it in networked places.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 checkmate

Anyone ever figure this out????

i am having the same problem. one of my outside sales people installed a WLAN at a hotel. now i can't get the machine to connect to my local network. Same problem and error messages as above. I can't even find the WLAN stuff to uninstall. :confused:

been at this for 4 hours and now i'm getting pissed. The only google search result for that error message is this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rpattis

I fixed this by opening the device manager while the wireless network card was inserted.

I selected the network card in the device manager and deleted it. After it was deleted, I removed it and re-inserted. After the hardware was discovered again and the drivers installed, it worked the way it was supposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lladnar

I have also had and fixed this problem. Thank you to the above posters.

It all started when I the allowed Network Setup Wizard to run on my Laptop. Everything was working fine before this and it shaged it up completely. So firstly my advice is DO NOT allow this wizard to run on your PC.

The exact steps I used to fix this were:
    1) Open Device Manager from within the System control panel applet (in the Hardware tab).
    2) Select each problematic network device (I had 2), right click and select Uninstall.
    3) Select 'Scan for hardware changes' in the Action menu.

After it had refound and installed each of my NICs everything was back to normal and working again. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

so basically your saying to fix this problem, uninstall and reinstall the nic and stay away from the network wizard

I suspect you could of accessed the other pc's by typing in the Unc path instead of going through the 'my network place'

Advertisement