Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird DVD stuff

Options
  • 06-03-2003 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

I was asked to look at this by my boss(its his daughters)

He has a Dell Inspiron 2650 and is having problems with his DVD,
    basically it wont work, when It starts up it plays fine, but once the title menu is over its crashs

WinDVD was installed
    I tried it with Media Player and the same thing happend

I installed all the latest drivers etc.
    no joy

as a last try, I tried PowerDVD 4 .. bingo works fine
    everything is grand

so does anyone know what PowerDVD has that WinDVD doesn't??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

so does anyone know what PowerDVD has that WinDVD doesn't??

Without sounding smart...

A clean install that the user hasnt changed any settings or customisations on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It actually looks like more a driver problem

as when I get the blue screen it reports "driver gone into infinate loop'

and when I turn it off and turn it back on the error report mentions driver adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Windows Media Player will only play a DVD if a software or hardware decoder is installed, so it was basically using WinDVD anyway, so that explains the crash there. As for WinDVD itself it's probably just an installation fault or some faulty settings. I'm not 100% sure but Windows probably sees the software decoder as a driver, and that would explain the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Hussey,

I got once of those recently, the DVD is a DVD/CDWriter? and the video is a Geforce2 Go and Window XP Home Ed?

Well, I haven't played that much Video on it but WinDVD came preinstalled and works ok. I have the video maxed when I do. No changes just the default.... Hmm.. Try installing PowerDVD or checked the video drivers installed or go to support.dell.com and enter the machine's asset tag code (under My computer->properties->support information) .. On the website get the latest video driver (I have 6.13.10.2963).

Either that or just install the ones from the Dell CDs.

Advertisement