Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bill you'd sooner expect from eircom (allegedly)

Options
  • 06-03-2003 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_756911.html?menu=news.quirkies :
    Computer error means £2.3 trillion electricity bill

A man has received a bill from British Gas for £2.3 trillion after a computer mix-up.

Brian Law got an initial bill for £59 last November, but when he forgot to pay it, they sent him a final demand.

The demand for £2,320,333,681,613 was supposed to be for electricity supplied to Mr Law's new home at Fartown, Huddersfield.

The company warned they would take him to court if he didn't pay the bill in full immediately, reports the Yorkshire Post.

But Mr Law said he made numerous efforts to have the matter sorted out, but British Gas failed to return phone calls having left his number with representatives.

He said: "Eventually, I decided the only way I was going to sort it out was to go to court and offer a penny a week."

But after local media intervened, British Gas said there had been mistake with a computer mixing up the reference number for the property.

"We have agreed that I owe £59 and I will set up a direct debit for the future," said Mr Law.

A British Gas spokeswoman said Mr Law was told the bill was a "simple clerical mistake".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

That would be a nice bill to see in your letter box after coming home from holiday I'd say :)

Advertisement