Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daoc

Options
  • 06-03-2003 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been playing DAOC ( Dark age of camelot An MMRPG ) since its european release (with big breaks inbetween ) and have bumped into a good few irish folk...allthough none from boards.ie....how many of you actualy play it ? or did play it ?

DO you play DAOC ? 21 votes

Yup I play it!
    0% 0 votes
    nah !
    9% 2 votes
    Used to play it!
    38% 8 votes
    will play it in future!
    52% 11 votes
    Big willy :)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I played it for long enough to discover what a massive waste of time it was. So about three days. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Used to, got bored not long after hitting level 43 with my luri ranger on hib/pryd. Good game, but the combat system is so damn tedious, only thing that kept me going was RvR and the battlegrounds, and even their only fun for a while. It started sucking when all the 50's appeared, the whole frontier was a constant zerg, no fun at all. Used to be fun tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I still play it, and still find the game hugely enjoyable ... but can see why many don't. To really get the most out of the game you need to have a class that you can enjoy RvRing with, and you need it at level 50 ... and the road to get there is long and tedious unless you know someone to powerlevel you, which unfortunately I didn't .. but then there were no level 50s when i started playing so powerlevelling didnt really exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Played it for about 2 weeks x2.

god bored very very quickly and went back to AC which i find much more enjoyable. Theres an irish guild on one of the servers aint there? Na fianna or sommet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I played it for a year, and enjoyed it for the most part. However for me the effort required to get 50 was too much, and without 50 and uber equipment there was no point in doing RvR. I got my kicks in the battlegrounds with a selection of classes and then left.

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by Dr_Teeth
    I played it for a year, and enjoyed it for the most part. However for me the effort required to get 50 was too much, and without 50 and uber equipment there was no point in doing RvR. I got my kicks in the battlegrounds with a selection of classes and then left.

Teeth.

every time i saw you in dnc u were playing in teeth....the road to 50 isnt THAT long...im on my way to my 3rd :) allthough i know its a class i most likely wont like in rvr :p warden

it is when you play a class undesireable to group with;P

i.e dont play nightshade/ranger or any of the other stealthers...problem solved :)

Originally posted by Tusky
    every time i saw you in dnc u were playing in teeth....the road to 50 isnt THAT long...im on my way to my 3rd :) allthough i know its a class i most likely wont like in rvr :p warden
    3rd??? you sad, sad man.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I'm still playing it. Done alb/excal, hib/pryd, and now trying mid/excal - don't think I'll renew my subscription though tbh.

• Advertisement

It is when you get fed up of a class and start another. When I left I had 10 different chars: 42, 40, 38, 37, 35, 35, 24, 23, 22, 22. I probably would have gotten a few 50s out of that lot if the chars had stayed interesting for long enough.. god I knew like *everything* about that game. ;) but I'm better now.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Got a L 29 shield hero on one of the Euro servers last year then got a bit tried of the grind of leveling and the ****ty service you get off whatever french company run the European servers. Pack of gomps buy some patch servers. Also it takes them 2-3 months to translate the American patches which they got in English into English so you could run them on the English speaking servers in Europe christ that makes sence. And then they completely deleted all their community forums on their web page because people were actually daring to complain about what was happening. They make the lads (ratpack or something) who run world war 2 online look good.

It is when you get fed up of a class and start another. When I left I had 10 different chars: 42, 40, 38, 37, 35, 35, 24, 23, 22, 22. I probably would have gotten a few 50s out of that lot if the chars had stayed interesting for long enough.. god I knew like *everything* about that game. ;) but I'm better now.

Teeth.
    you sad, sad man.

im not sad...theres no good games at all out on pc atm :(

I'm looking forward to Planetside now - all of the fun and none of the leveling! woot!

Teeth.

A game can't really claim to be a mmorpg if its 'fun' :P. Honestly looking back on the 4 or 5 mmorpgs I've played none of the basic gameplay were ever any fun. For me it was always getting a random group of stangers together forming a group and sucessfully hunting down big nasties that I enjoyed.

Thats the only fun in most MMORPG's these days thorbar, the community, however recently the DaoC community has gone into a long phase of 'l33tism' in which case most players seem to think 'im special, your trash, give me all the loot you lump of rancid snot'. I left when all my best mates stopped chatting, and spent their time organising big hunts and all that tripe, the fun of the game went bye byes and everyone seemed to be out of a sense of humour, and then the last fun thing of the game, was gone. However this seems to be happening all over the internet these days, bring back the humour!!!

Read up on PS, it is going to ROCK. An MMO environment for BF1942-esque sci-fi FPS action. No leveling, no loot, no mobs, just lots of action and hopefully, a great community.

For RPGers:

http://planetside.station.sony.com/game_info/rpg.jsp

For FPSers:

http://planetside.station.sony.com/game_info/fps.jsp

Teeth.

/me signed up to PS beta test

Looks interesting, however I doubt I'll play the game on release, as SW:G will be out by that time, so maybe later :)

No leveling, no loot, no mobs

-Taken from your link -

"Your character will advance in levels, gaining access to a wider variety of equipment and implants"

anywho on a more daoc related subject what u think fo this for a warden spec Teeth ?

47 nurture 39 blades 20 regrowth and rest in parry ?

• Advertisement

The levels thing is a bit of misnomer - you get points for taking part in missions, shooting people etc. The more you get, the more different certifications you can train in - certs allow you to use various items like advanced weapons, vehicles etc.

However the cost of the certs are fairly flat. Both a complete newbie and an veteren could train in the same cert and get an uber weapon to use. The difference between the two is that the vet would have more points left-over to be able to drive a nice tank at the same time.

There are no 'stats' that increase as you gain points, and the points gaining is very easy - everyone in the same group gets equal points for a kill, regardless of how many points they already have. And of course, there's no boring mob camping required to get points - you get them as a result of normal, fun play.

My warden template was 45 nuture, 39 blades, 26 regrowth, 10 parry iirc.

Teeth.

ppl are telling me to put 49 in nurture no mater what ... and also to put more in regrowth as wardens damage output is **** (so they say)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I played for about 8 months, had a level 50 skald, level 50 thane and a 40 hero. Then i got bored, traded my account, got bored again (quickly) got caught and had my account banned :)

Its just a pain in the ass leveling when theres really fuck all to do at 50. You get bored but you don't want to lugg through leveling another char. Same old.

Originally posted by vac
    Its just a pain in the ass leveling
    You say that when you have 2 level 50's :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Well i leveled the second to 50 thinking the char was the reason i was getting bored, but its not. Its just a lack of things to do at 50 in daoc. Rvr is repetitive zerg, boring as hell. Lack of skilled groups and not always alot of guildies online.

Teeth although that sounds like a great idea on paper I've a feeling its gonna get more abused then a polish hooker in a German holiday resort. You'll have an elite of players who just power level their buddies and making it a huge disadvantage to play the game properly as it was designed. I don't know maybe the developers have some means of stopping this sort of thing.

Rvr is repetitive zerg, boring as hell.

It's what you put into it, if you put no effort to set up a decent group nd break away you will get nothing out of it and get boring real quick.

Teeth although that sounds like a great idea on paper I've a feeling its gonna get more abused then a polish hooker in a German holiday resort. You'll have an elite of players who just power level their buddies and making it a huge disadvantage to play the game properly as it was designed. I don't know maybe the developers have some means of stopping this sort of thing.

Err no. Like I said, the cert cost model is very flat and there is no advantage to having lots of certs other than flexiblity. A complete newb who has just finished the training mission has enough points to drive a tank or use the best weapons in the game.

The only advantage a veteren player has is that they have more points and thus can be both certified as a pilot , a tanker and a medic at the same time for example. They don't get more hitpoints, or do more damage or get better accuracy etc etc. Certs can be unlearned so you can 're-spec' any time you like, so players with a small amount of points aren't stuck with a few certs they don't like.

Powerleveling will not exist, the only way to get points is to kill the enemy - everyone has access to the same weapons and armour so there won't be any newbs who have to sit on the sidelines because they can't contribute. Plus everyone in a group gets full credit for each kill or goal accomplished.

Teeth.

That sounds pretty good alright, no having to spend a month or so on a levelling threadmill before you can compete=]

• Advertisement

While it sounds like an interesting concept, I think it might take away from the longetivity of the game, and it may quickly get boring, but depends on how well the game is put together, hopefully theres enough variety to keep the game interesting, might give it a go some time.

Advertisement