Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Article] Call for compulsory eye-tests for motorists

Options
  • 06-03-2003 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭

I think this would make sense, make people come in every 5-10 years and do a "refresher test" with the computerised general knowledge test, eye tests and a few other basics

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0306/driving.html
    Call for compulsory eye-tests for motorists

March 6, 2003

(10:49) The Government has been urged to introduce compulsory eye-tests every ten years for all motorists over the age of 35.

Campaigners say such a move would help save dozens of lives every year.

The call is being made to coincide with the launch of a major national campaign on the prevention of eye injury and loss of sight.

At present eye tests are not compulsory in the years between the issuing of a provisional driver's licence and the age of 70.

The Waterford-based Fight For Sight charity wants action on drivers who are not wearing glasses or contact lenses. They say vision impairment may represent as great a safety risk as drinking and driving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why just over 35's? I wear glasses and contacts all the time. It'd be a non-issue for me to give in an eye test report every time I renew a full licence, seeing as I get my eyes tested roughly every two years anyway. :)

Makes perfect sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think its a good move, you see too many peeps peering over the steering wheel....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    Why just over 35's? I wear glasses and contacts all the time. It'd be a non-issue for me to give in an eye test report every time I renew a full licence, seeing as I get my eyes tested roughly every two years anyway. :)
    Because most people pass their test in their early - mid 20s so they will be getting the test after 10 years (at 35) anyway.

(Most peoples eyes stop growing in the 18-21 age and remain somewhat stable in their 20s)

Advertisement