Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've Finally Got Sky!!!

• 06-03-2003 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I'VE FINALLY GOT SKY!!!

But RTE, NET2, TV3, TG4 & BBC1 are all still to come on!

I've also got my English FTV activated and no question was asked about being located in the Rep. of Ireland (thank God!) - that was the one point I was dreading speaking about to those robots at SKY.

But anyway I wanted the Sky family pack but the bastard of an installer subscribed me to Sky World - me being an arse I did not properly read the contract form that he so kindly filled in for me! I ended up missing the 1A he filled in instead of 1!

What commission does an installer make if he gets a customer to subscribe to Sky World?

Anyway, I am downgrading next month!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Congratulations muffinhead

BTW what is this delay activating/unblocking those channels about. My cousins got Sky last week and still don't have them (even though customer care keep saying "should be up and running in a few hours).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This is a fairly common problem with the new viewing cards.

It has been discussed here:

Click 'ere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by muffinhead
    I'VE FINALLY GOT SKY!!!

But RTE, NET2, TV3, TG4 & BBC1 are all still to come on!

I've also got my English FTV activated and no question was asked about being located in the Rep. of Ireland (thank God!) - that was the one point I was dreading speaking about to those robots at SKY.

But anyway I wanted the Sky family pack but the bastard of an installer subscribed me to Sky World - me being an arse I did not properly read the contract form that he so kindly filled in for me! I ended up missing the 1A he filled in instead of 1!

What commission does an installer make if he gets a customer to subscribe to Sky World?

Anyway, I am downgrading next month!

I think you need to be a bit more considerate to your installer. I am not 100% certain of all of the figures, but if you subscribe to Sky World you get a reduced installation (€75 instead of €100). You may as well spend the extra €25 (plus whatever difference)on the films and movies for a month rather than give it to Sky.

As far as I know the installers get the same commission (by all accounts peanuts) no matter what package they sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The cheapest way to get Sky IS sky World. You only need to keep it for a Month.
    You can downgrade to Family, Popular, Knowledge, Value (which isn't).

Family pack is lowest that has BBC1 & BBC2 and the 4 Irish TV. Lower packs don't, which is understandable for BBC1/BBC2 but verging on "criminal" for Irish TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I unfortunately did not see the reduced installation rate with the installation of SKY World. I was charged €150 for a non-standard installation - does this sound correct? Should I be looking for my €25 back?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I unfortunately did not see the reduced installation rate with the installation of SKY World. I was charged €150 for a non-standard installation - does this sound correct? Should I be looking for my €25 back?

In what way was it non-standard? How long did the install take?

€150 sounds steep as it's currently half price installation €37.50 if you subscribe to Sky World (otherwise it's €75 standard or €100 for packages other than World).

It wasn't extremely non-standard, it just required him providing wire, which I fitted, in order to extend the phoneline. Also he gave me a "magic-eye" thing (r.r.p. €30) in order to change the channels on the digibox.

How could I go about dealing with this?
    - An installer who subscribed me to Sky World when I asked for the Family Pack.
    - An installer who charged me €150 for a "non-standard" installation when installation for Sky World is currently going for €37.50 (standard).

Do I have any legal comeback - I think I have been well and truely ripped off! Would the small claims court deal with this sort of situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

It wasn't extremely non-standard, it just required him providing wire, which I fitted, in order to extend the phoneline. Also he gave me a "magic-eye" thing (r.r.p. €30) in order to change the channels on the digibox.

How could I go about dealing with this?
    - An installer who subscribed me to Sky World when I asked for the Family Pack.
    - An installer who charged me €150 for a "non-standard" installation when installation for Sky World is currently going for €37.50 (standard).

Do I have any legal comeback - I think I have been well and truely ripped off! Would the small claims court deal with this sort of situation?

Why did you agree to pay this amount if you were not happy with the price? You are responsible for subscribing since you signed the form not the installer. In any case if you feel you have a genuine complaint you should take it up with sky customer services.

Tony

Firstly I was under the impression that I was subscribing to Sky Family Pack so €150 didn't sound extreme for a non-standard installation. But when I found that he had subscribed me to Sky World, which was currently going at €37.50, standard installation, I felt I had been ripped off.

I know it was my fault for not reading the form properly, that he kindly filled out for me, but when you ask for one thing and find out he has subscribed you to a package that is alot more expensive, I was outraged! I did phone sky but they said I signed the form so tough luck, but the fact he charged me full rate for installation, instead of half price that made me more outraged.

• Advertisement

Yes I see your point, 150 ie 50 euro over standard 100 euro family pack install might be acceptable given the tv link but extra 122.50 sounds rough assuming the retailer was taking part in the 1/2 price promotion. I fill out some details for customers but thats only after they have decided what package they wish to have. Who ordered the card for you as they must indicate at that point what package is being sought?

Tony

Firstly I was under the impression that I was subscribing to Sky Family Pack so €150 didn't sound extreme for a non-standard installation. But when I found that he had subscribed me to Sky World, which was currently going at €37.50, standard installation, I felt I had been ripped off.

I know it was my fault for not reading the form properly, that he kindly filled out for me, but when you ask for one thing and find out he has subscribed you to a package that is alot more expensive, I was outraged! I did phone sky but they said I signed the form so tough luck, but the fact he charged me full rate for installation, instead of half price that made me more outraged.

The installer (independent) ordered me the card. And I did tell him at that time, also, that I wanted Sky Family Pack.

The installer (independent) ordered me the card. And I did tell him at that time, also, that I wanted Sky Family Pack.

In that case he has deliberately done this as he has to tell sky what package you want when ordering the card.

so is there anyway I can get the money that I was charged back. Obviously he can keep what should be owed, but he has over-charged me by around, including the Sky World Subscription, €95 - I think my calculations are correct:

€60 - €26.99= €33.01
    €150 - €87.50 (i.e. €37.50+€50**)= €62.50

€33.01+€62.50= €95.51

TOTAL OVER-CHARGE = €95.51

**(He added €50 to standard installation so i'll add it back on to installation for non-standard)

Does this sound correct?

Advertisement