Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite online FPS

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What's the point of realism? Personally I don't care how realistic it is, as long as it's fun to play. Half Life wasn't realistic. Neither is quake or Castle Wolfenstien, or Tribes. But they're damn fun games nontheless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

To each his own.... Some people like slightly more refined stuff, some people like chaotic mayhem, i personally love both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I try to avoid games where arguements can break out over a death caused by a gun firing 301 rounds per minute, when it really fires 300 rpm in real life...:p

Bah, that damn MG42 does fire a bit slow.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

pft ns and cs tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Originally posted by Dcully
    DOD unrealistic????
    ER!!! i feel you should rethink about that one.
    DOD is probably the most realistic of them all.
    Lots of folk ignore it when the see how tricky it is compared to other easy shooters.
    Once you get half decent its amazing and certainly not crap , me thinks anyone with the opinion its unrealistic just hasnt played it enough.
    If it used the exact same game engine as cs it might actually be good.it's as realist as you'd want it to be.
    Maybe i was wrong to say it was unrealistic but remember this realism is nothing if it doesn't hav a point- all that **** about getting tired if u run to much is too annoying. And anyway in reality you'd get an adrenaline boost for combat situations you're not just gonna stop running coz u feel tired if you're being chased with some one with a gun so if you think about it actually isn't realistic

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

OMG, i think most here know what i meant by realistic,i meant accuracy of firing, as in one should be motionless for the most accurate shots and prone for best accuracy.
    When you are running your shots spray about just like real life so if you see an enemy you gather yourself , stop and if you can to take carefull aim or find cover first.
    The tiring part your on about is to stop it being a high speed fragfest like Quake.
    When you jump your stamina decreases but comes back when you stop jumping which is designed to combat the silly bunnyhopping you see in other games.Also you cant strafe left to right like a mad man and still be accurate as your reticule will sway around .
    These features which you say are unrealistic are to prevent ,bunnyhoppers and those who jump around crazy and still manage to shoot you.
    I ask you this, Do you think this jumping about like a rabbit is realistic?
    I ask you also why was this game voted the best Mod recently?
    Surely it would not get this accolade if was Quote "annoying" as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

OMG, i think most here know what i meant by realistic,i meant accuracy of firing, as in one should be motionless for the most accurate shots and prone for best accuracy.
    When you are running your shots spray about just like real life so if you see an enemy you gather yourself , stop and if you can to take carefull aim or find cover first.
    The tiring part your on about is to stop it being a high speed fragfest like Quake.
    When you jump your stamina decreases but comes back when you stop jumping which is designed to combat the silly bunnyhopping you see in other games.Also you cant strafe left to right like a mad man and still be accurate as your reticule will sway around .
    These features which you say are unrealistic are to prevent ,bunnyhoppers and those who jump around crazy and still manage to shoot you.
    Testify mah brutha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Tactical - Ops ,

I can already hear the questions ...Woot.?....

Its an unreal t mod and now a game in its own right called Tac-ops AOT...been playin it for 18 months now, clan'ed up an all , played most of the others but never took to them tbh .

Since we are on the subject of realism, ill just show you a quick example of ultra-realism in a "game" in which realism is the main goal. The following is a an extremely shortened log of the damage model, explained:

"- Three rounds of 20mm from a Bf-109E4 hitting a H-75
    All lines in brackets (xxx) identify an explanation ie: not logged output but a comment from me.

(1st round)

WEAP Round hit
    (impact recorded)
    WEAP Hit vehicle, index = 309753, ident = 0, icon = prsymn, striking velocity 592.788503 m/s
    (damaged player identified, and velocity of impact calculated)
    WEAP Fuse started, time = 754.343750
    (HE round fuse set off)
    WEAP Contact Fuze sets off bursting action
    (round explodes after fuse expires)
    WEAP d_vertstabr, thickness 0.000130 meters, obliquity 84.299807 degrees, applying 133364.317637 joules energy, stopped, richochet = 0
    (damage object identified, skin thickness, angle of impact, and joules of energy/damage applied, round dies)
    *note* (Fused self destruction identifies HE and high number joules of damage probably identifies a MINE round, but this is an educated guess by me)

(2nd round)

WEAP Round hit
    (impact recorded)
    WEAP Hit vehicle, index = 309753, ident = 0, icon = prsymn, striking velocity 476.003484 m/s
    (damaged player identified, velocity of impact calculated)
    WEAP d_canopyhatch, thickness 0.001300 meters, obliquity 84.413313 degrees, applying 419.246470 joules energy, richochet = 1
    (damage object identified, skin thickness, angle of impact, and joules of energy/damage applied, round leaves target)
    *note* (Lack of fused self destruction identifies AP round)

(3rd round)

WEAP Round hit
    (impact recorded)
    WEAP Hit vehicle, index = 309753, ident = 0, icon = prsymn, striking velocity 559.027721 m/s
    (damaged player identified, velocity of impact calculated)
    WEAP d_fuselage, thickness 0.000325 meters, obliquity 80.761671 degrees, applying 5825.500169 joules energy, losing 99.463854 m/s, speed now 459.563867 m/s
    (damage object identified, skin thickness, angle of impact, joules of energy/damage applied, velocity re-calculated, round continues)
    WEAP Hit vehicle, index = 309753, ident = 0, icon = prsymn, striking velocity 459.563889 m/s
    (damaged player identified, velocity of next impact calculated)
    WEAP d_torso, thickness 0.001200 meters, obliquity 0.000000 degrees, applying 965.899479 joules energy, losing 18.654923 m/s, speed now 440.908966 m/s
    (damage object identified, skin thickness, angle of impact, joules of energy/damage applied, velocity re-calculated, round continues)
    WEAP Hit vehicle, index = 309753, ident = 0, icon = prsymn, striking velocity 440.908999 m/s
    WEAP d_arms, thickness 0.001000 meters, obliquity 0.000000 degrees, applying 769.051413 joules energy, losing 15.437568 m/s, speed now 425.471431 m/s
    WEAP Hit vehicle, index = 309753, ident = 0, icon = prsymn, striking velocity 425.471413 m/s
    WEAP d_rnoseammo, thickness 0.005000 meters, obliquity 0.000000 degrees, applying 5749.999962 joules energy, losing 140.820880 m/s, speed now 284.650533 m/s
    WEAP Hit vehicle, index = 309753, ident = 0, icon = prsymn, striking velocity 284.650552 m/s
    WEAP d_oiltank, thickness 0.003000 meters, obliquity 0.000000 degrees, applying 3036.385590 joules energy, losing 116.664744 m/s, speed now 167.985809 m/s
    WEAP Hit vehicle, index = 309753, ident = 0, icon = prsymn, striking velocity 167.985806 m/s
    WEAP d_firewall, thickness 0.000000 meters, obliquity 6.007895 degrees, applying 0.000000 joules energy, losing 0.000000 m/s, speed now 167.985806 m/s
    WEAP Hit vehicle, index = 309753, ident = 0, icon = prsymn, striking velocity 167.985806 m/s
    WEAP d_engine, thickness 0.100000 meters, obliquity 0.000000 degrees, applying 1622.605810 joules energy, stopped, richochet = 0
    (damage object identified, skin thickness, angle of impact, joules of energy/damage applied, velocity re-calculated, round stopped)
    *note* (Lack of fused self destruction identifies AP round)

- Please remember that these are rounds that DID do damage, it is entirely possible to hit a vehicle and do almost no damage, something that is entirely realistc, but is not found in other "shooter" solutions in other games to any great degree."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I also vote for TFC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

DoD is as realistic as CS - ie: not very.

The weapons are horrably inaccurate, an mp44 is accurate to over 200meters, thats from one side of most DoD maps to the other, and yet if you tried to fire it at that range in game, you wouldnt hit with a single shot. Also, firing an MG42 while undeployed would break your arm, and by the way he holds it probably nearly kill him. The BAR has too much recoil, yes its a brute of a gun, but these guys are trained, its like your a boyscout when your firing this thing, same with the mp44 and the m1 garand.
    Grenades also dont 'explode' their frag grenades dagnammit, not HE grenades, BIG diffrence, HE grenades go bang, like those in DoD, but in DoD the grenades (both pineapple and steilhands) are frag grenades, that means the grenade should only make a quiet bang, not a huge explosion, and the fragments should spread for huge ranges, but the damage reduces sevearely with distance.
    And the sharfutze, whats with the sniper sway? these are axis snipers, not some random dude of the street, the allied snipers sway is accounted for, but the axis ones could blow off your finger if you put it around the corner from 500 meters, easily. The axis snipers were trained to the bones with their rifle, in WW1 some allied soldiers used to give the axis trench's the fingers from the safety of their own trench so they could get their trigger finger blown off so they got an easy trip home, a soldier missing a trigger finger was of no use in war, so he got home, missing a finger, but alive.

Thats my rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

quakeworld

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

have u played cs?
    Most of the realistic aspects you've mentioned are all present in cs but they're done in a less annoying way. If u stand still and shoot its more accurate straffing and shooting is inacurate etc.
    And they've dealed with the bunny hopping thing in a different way now. What I'm saying about cs is that its as reealistic as you'd want a game to b before u start getting silly.i just think dod is trying to b too clever for its own good and if it had exactly the same game engine as cs it might b good.
    How it got voted best mod is beyond me tbh but i think the poll backs my point up:p

Have i played CS? Only ever since its first beta release.
    I still play it and love it.I never said i didnt,it is fantastic .
    Its the most played game in the world and nothing comes even close so it has to be special and it is.
    Yes it too is very realistic , all im saying is DOD is realistic in the way i explained before,of course a superfit highly trained soldier would not tire after a single jump but remember it is a game .
    Therefore its creators wanted to strike a balance between realism and fun.
    IMO CS and DOD have this balance.If one was to create a game which was 100% accurate to real life it would be nigh on impossible to have a game with fluid gameplay,fun and 100%realism.
    Everyone has their favourites of course ,what i will say is in the beginning i hated DOD for the same reasons as you plus i couldnt kill anyonebut give it time and it all comes good.

Hi Pugsley,i have seen lots of guys kill from one side of the map to another using mp44.The guys on Radox server which i play on all the time would take your finger off if the game engine allowed.
    On one particular map called Verbung or something to that effect there is a clear opening in front of the Axis base which is huge.
    This area is only part of the map but is bigger than most maps in DOD.I have been hit lots of times while at the far end by all axis weapons.
    Trust me if you play along with experts you will see this regularly.Also about the breaking arm thing,remember its a game , whats the point running to somewhere to deploy your MG only to meet an enemy on the way but if you shoot you will break your arm?
    Cmon there is a limit to how realistic things can be but still be fun.

Then your admitting its unrealistic, what is realastic about either of them? The grenades explosions go through walls go through walls, the guns have horrid recoil, the weapon damage is buggered up, kevlar is worthless for what it should do (in real life, with no kevlar you will die in 1 or 2 shots from anAK47, with kevlar you can survive at least 7 in the chest, probably 10 shots to kill you, and a full suit of kevlar costs £100,000, which is much more than any fire arm in CS, yet in CS the kevlar is dirt cheap), the m249 is a support weapon in real life, used to cover people by firing full auto near the enemy, not planned on killing them but just keep their heads down, if you do full auto with m249 in CS no1 would put their heads down, they would jump out and kill you knowing they wont get hit. So stop calling games realistic then saying theres a balance between gameplay and realism, JUST CALL THEM UNREALISTIC IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    Hi Pugsley,i have seen lots of guys kill from one side of the map to another using mp44.The guys on Radox server which i play on all the time would take your finger off if the game engine allowed.
    On full auto? i doubt it,when i said its accurate to 200 meters, i meant on full auto, and by accurate I mean put all bullets within a 1 meter diameter circle.
    whats the point running to somewhere to deploy your MG only to meet an enemy on the way but if you shoot you will break your arm?
    Dont move without backup, when carrying an MG42 and walking of on your own, you DESERVE to die, meeting a moving MG'er should be a guarenteed kill, as the MG's can beat damn near any weapon in enclosed spaces, shouldnt be like that, ffs Ive seen people rushing down the house in avalnce as axis with an MG34 and doing bloody well, drilling several people on the way and not a scratch on them (this is on the radox server btw).

LOL Pugsley,what can one say to that ?Are you an ex-soldier :)
    Good Rant:)

When i say realsitic im comparing to other games not real-life.
    Good to meet up with ya on Radox there today,id swear you came on just to kick my ass,:)

No, im a firearms player, the amount of gun addicts around that community is quite astonishing, you pick up alot after 2 years of it :)

ps: nice spading on radox :D

Yeah i intended getting into Firearms but never did.
    Is it any good? Obviously netcode is great ie HL mod.
    PS LOL bout Spading,twas good fun :)

Firearms is only played by the hardcore, so theres random noobs and then theres the great players, very little inbetween. Its a love hate game, I loved it, most folk seem to hate it around here, you should give it a try some day, you should try it out some time, but as most people say 'its good if your good at it', but I dont believe in that tripe, if your cr*p at a game it should still be fun if its a good game, if not, your a score whoring twat who only plays to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Natural-Selection :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Q3 tbh

Tis nice to see the HL kiddies touch each other up about which is the best mod(tis DoD)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

TFC, mmm pyro...

Advertisement