Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would this PC go for retail?

• 07-03-2003 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Over the last few months I've been building new PC's for my mates etc. Through this I'm starting to get requests in from friends of friends etc. Now if I proceed with these I want to do it properly and also make sure its worth my while. The thing is what to charge?? Not my strong point. So out of interest this is the last one I built and I was wondering what it would go for retail?

AMD Athlon XP2400+
    XP Home edition
    Asus A7N8X mainboard
    2 x TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM CL2 256MB
    Maxtor IDE ATA-133 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cashe
    Sapphire Radeon 9700 Atlantis 128MB
    Chieftec Dragon MidiTower, w/Door, Black
    Samsung DVD drive IDE 16x/48x, Black design
    NEC Floppy Drive Black 3,5" 1,44MB
    Logitech OEM Wheel Mouse Optical Pro
    EKL case fan 80x80x25mm
    GlacialTech CPU cooler Socket A
    Trust keyboard (black)
    Iiyama 17" Monitor Vision MST 1403/17" FST .27 70kHz MPR2

I think my main problem will be sourcing a good price for XP os? At the minute the cheapest I've seen is €120. Any ideas etc. I would appriciate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If it had DELL on it about €3000

The problem i found with making PCs is that you cant offer those damn free printers and scanners so the "pc world /Dell " option looks better to unknowing buyer.

Thats a really nice PC and if sold by DELL would have free printer crap and if you bought those parts seperate would cost a little under the DELL price.

If you can source the parts at a really cheap price (komplett get a mates VAT no: )

Then you could make a few quid but without the printer scanner crap you may not make as much cash.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Yeah thats the problem. The two main things I'd be worried about are trying to provide a package with it ie. Printer/MS Office etc. Also support for it. You reckon €3000 badged? Well it cost €1360 from komplett minus the time building etc. So maybe there would be a few bob in it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Stick Micosoft Works instead of office in, maybe even star office. Should save you a couple of bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

think about 1700-1800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ooh yes, perhaps put a P4 2.4 in instead.

Its a recognized brand to the average non computer type person :eek: So they may be more willing to part money with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ooh yes, perhaps put a P4 2.4 in instead.

great, but you either rack up the price, or pay extra for the P4 chip yourself and cut your profit.

Dont agree with the dell quote of 3k, the dell would have a faster CPU as least at that price. Regardless of what we know, people still think they need that, with a feckin 16mb ati!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I just customized a DELL online to similiar specs of the one above.
    Standard Features: Intel 845E chipset with support for 266MHz DDR RAM & 333MHz DDR RAM
    Support For Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors with 533MHz System Base
    Midnight grey mini-tower with 6 USB 2.0 ports, 4 PCI slots and AGP 4x slot
    Norton AntiVirus 2003 (with 90 days free virus updates)
    Integrated Intel 10/100 Pro Ethernet Network Card
    3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive

Enhanced Support Packs: 1 Year Collect and Return Service

Processor Upgrade: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.06GHz (+ EUR EUR 500.00)

Memory: 512MB DDR RAM (2x256MB DIMM) (+ EUR EUR 120.00)

Hard Drive: 30GB IDE Hard Drive (5400 rpm)

Monitor: Dell 17" Value (15.9" VIS) Monitor

2nd Monitor: Not Included

Video Card: 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Graphics Card with DVI Dual Monitor Support and TV-OUT via S-Video- DELL RECOMMENDS! (+ EUR EUR 400.00)

Optical Drives: 16x DVD Drive with PowerDVD Software

ZIP Drives: Not Included

Home Installation: Not Included

Sound Card: On-Board Sound

Speakers: Harman Kardon 206 Speakers

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition (Why not upgrade to Windows® XP Professional?)

Modem: Dell 56k Data/Fax/Voice Modem

Video Editing: Not Included

Digital Photography: Dell Picture Studio Standard Edition (note: contains a 21 use trial version of Paint Shop Pro)

Software: Microsoft Works 7.0

Keyboard: Dell Standard Keyboard

Mouse: MS PS/2 Intelli 2 Btn Whl Mse

€2200

And it had a feckin 16 mb ati ...LOL

kdjac

talk about been RAPED for the upgrades!
    Processor Upgrade: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.06GHz (+ EUR EUR 500.00)

hmm, thinking no
    Hard Drive: 30GB IDE Hard Drive (5400 rpm)

ha ha ha ha ha, good one mikey, seriously isnt that too big!

Video Card: 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Graphics Card with DVI Dual Monitor Support and TV-OUT via S-Video- DELL RECOMMENDS! (+ EUR EUR 400.00

i reccomend you ask my tits!

ok done bitching now.

moral of the story, if you want a PC with all the corners cut, go for a Dell, unless you wanna pay 400e for the 9700!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Got a a leaflet in the door yesterday, roughly the same spec retailing at 2669, except it had a dvd burner and 17" flat panel.

Saw a great upgrade offer in there too, for 128 MB of pc 133, 150 Euro, Goooooo Dell!

ive noticed they have a habit of calling a DVD CDRW combo as DVDRW on occasion!

or the 2.somthing Ghz laptop with a good battery life, but they negate to tell you the CPU runs at half when on battery!

im surpriesed that they can get away with stunts like that! if they were any other type of business they would be hammered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

No suprise that people are not getting value for money. The problem is a lot of people buying PCs do not know what to look for and are also baffled by the sales people. But who would they be more liable to buy from. A large multinational or some guy off the street? The introduction of the euro and the emergence of companies like Komplett are starting to open peoples eyes though. I know we should all buy Irish etc but money talks!

Advertisement