Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Cards ?

• 07-03-2003 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

I got like 100ish to spend on a graphics card. So I goes to Komplett.ie and they got lots and lots.

I havent got a clue what to order, there are 128mb cards and 64mb cards for the same price. Should I go for the 128?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I've got a Radeon 8500 for sale here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86236
    The GPU is a slightly higher spec. than the 8500LE that superfly mentions, has 64MB rather than 128MB RAM.
    Would let it go for €70.00 (including delivery).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

This is what I mean. Why is it a 64mb card can be more expensive then the 128 card. How do they measure the standard of the card ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

many of the 128's use crappier ram and since its not being used anyway they generally end up slower than the equiv 64.

the amount of ram only affects the performance up to a point, just like a PC!

its down to the clock speed of the GPU (graphics proccessor unit) and the memory clock speed. Imagine a graphics card as a small, purpose-built computer!

The 64mb ti4200 is a great card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

hey guys, do you know of any good graphics cards for laptops??

i have a packard bell easy one silver with win xp
    but GTA3 is cack on it cos of the poxy graphics on the pc.
    i really want to get a Gcard upgrade..

Later
    Macker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Almost all laptops are made with integrated graphics that share the computer's RAM. What you have is more than likely what you are stuck with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Almost all laptops are made with integrated graphics that share the computer's RAM. What you have is more than likely what you are stuck with.

well thats not quite true, thats only come in recently for alot of laptops(e.g. dell's). if laptop is a year or more old you would probally find it has a seperate gfx card, if a standard install of RH8.0 can't run xfree86 then u deff have combined gfx card(such hassle wif those latitudes.......). Same in the new optiplex's also, in a room full of em atm lotsa cvs and patches to get em to run xfree86 properly..............

Btw my laptop has a geforce2 mobile, but due to the rest of my 'laptop' specs (i.e. i wasn't paying 4g's for a comparable gaming machine spec laptop) i wouldn't bother updating the gfx card.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Thanks lads..
    sorry to sound ignorant here but how would i test mine and what is xfree86 ?

cheers

Later
    Macker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

And even if your laptop has a seperate graphics chip with separtate memory, it's probably soldered onto the motherboard... nasty trying to upgrade something like that...

Advertisement