Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before eircom release something like this !!

Options
  • 07-03-2003 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

not until ntl have cable on the moon ;)

tbh it will be a while before anyone has that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I was talking to a guy from Japan some time ago ... his customers were one of those nuclear research labs over there .... they produced something in the region of 10 Terabyte files from each experiment .... experiments are run twice a month ...

Needless to say they had some enormous tape library machines ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

You would use up your 3 gig cap pretty quick if Eircom was doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

tbh they'd prob give u less than 3 gigs for the honour of reading your email at lightning fast speeds :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

What exactly is internet 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

i think it's IPv6

new implementation of IP to make it bigger, better, and even more scalable.

only problem is IPv6 addresses look like windows 2000 license keys, which are not the easiest things in the world to remember.

John

(i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The internet2 is the start of the construction of infrastructure for Grid computing.

eg: BOINC (who said nerds don't have a sense of humour?)

There'll be a grid running in ireland soon between NUIG, UCC and TCD/UCD afaik.

Look at CERN and you'll understand why this sort of computing power is needed.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

would "BOINC-ing" at work not get you into trouble?, using your companies resources etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

_

Advertisement