Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Memory on Windows Xp

Options
  • 07-03-2003 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at my Virtual Memory on Windows Xp. Its set to "Custom Size, Intitial Size 768 and maximum size is 1536". I didnt set this, Dell must of.
    I was wondering is there any way to improve system performance, I have 512 RD RAM and I have programs that use scratch disks but no program by itself uses more than 512 of ram, could I disable virtual memory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I wouldn't recommend disabling it completely, unless you're desperately low on space. Just let Windows manage it automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Why would Dell set it at custom? Did anyone else notice this when they bought there PC off them, say in the last year or so (i.e. shipped with windows Xp), cause I know i didn't set it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ierk trojan runs VMM , check it out

My virus scanner reports nothing, explain a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

you should set the max and min to 768mb [which is 1.5 ur ram size this is optium]and if you have more than one drive put some on each

• Advertisement

Irishguy, I have only one disk in that machine. Those setting you mentioned are what its at, You're saying that I should leave it as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

no i said put the MIN and the MAX at 768mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by irishguy
    you should set the max and min to 768mb [which is 1.5 ur ram size this is optium]and if you have more than one drive put some on each
    No you shouldn't.(heads hopping all over the place)
    Try and dedicate one drive to your swap-no fragmentation
    If you have a second "physical" hard drive use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Why would Dell set it at custom? Did anyone else notice this when they bought there PC off them, say in the last year or so (i.e. shipped with windows Xp), cause I know i didn't set it.
    I just checked, my Dell (bought in November) has the exact same settings. I didn't change it, and nobody else who uses the PC even knows what Virtual Memory is. Maybe Dell thinks it knows better than it's customers? I don't really care about the swap file size (120gb HD :D ) and I doubt that I'll need to actually use it this side of 2004 (512mb RAM :D ) so I'll just leave it as it is.

Well I'd rather "force" Xp to use RAM where possible rather than go for virtual memory. I have 120Gb as well and its them wd caviars but using the ram would be better cause I have about 128Mb that rarely used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

OS will only use paged memory when it runs out of ram, leave well enough alone if you disable pagefile pc will crash every time you run out of memory, if you think you don't need it check out task manager,performance tab and see how much memory is paged, I would be very surprised if you aren't using at least 200MB of paged memory.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by Barry Aldwell
    I just checked, my Dell (bought in November) has the exact same settings. I didn't change it, and nobody else who uses the PC even knows what Virtual Memory is. Maybe Dell thinks it knows better than it's customers? I don't really care about the swap file size (120gb HD :D ) and I doubt that I'll need to actually use it this side of 2004 (512mb RAM :D ) so I'll just leave it as it is.

Just checked mine, bought last month...
    Custom size set there alright.
    Inital Size 384mb
    Maximum Size 768mb

Its a laptop, and nobody else really uses it, so I am pretty certain that nobody has set this. I havent noticed any performance problems, and I'm not stuck for the space, so I havent bothered to do anything to change it.

If It aint broke... etc...

Advertisement