Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed up my pc?

• 08-03-2003 2:09am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Using Windows 98, have deleted all the .tmp and.chk files...have about 800 mbs free...pc still seems slow and crashes everynow and again.

I heard that there was some kind of program that will scan your drive and optimise various settings...thus speeding it up. Anyone know what this program is...or something like it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

most of those progs are BS! they usually cause more problems that they solve.

you need to free up as many resources as you can. Remove all non-essential progs, export non-essential doc to cdrom or wherever.

next, you need to refresh your operating sysytem. Boot into windows and insert your W98 cdrom and run setup. It will not delete your programs or docs, but IE and DX will be brought back to their defaults.

after this, get the latest drivers for your hardware (NOT BETA!), install DX 8.1 and ie 5.5 (seem to be trhe best for 98)

go to download.com and get a prog called regvac, its safe, efficent and user-friendly registry cleaner. run this prog and clean out the crap that lies in the registry.

lastly, run scandisk and defrag, or better still Norton speed disk.

thats your lot, there are registry tweaks about, a prog called tweaki (download.com) is good for these.

How much ram do you have BTW?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks, got that reg cleaner...it took some **** out.

12mb of RAM.

Dunno if my pc speeded up much tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

12mb of RAM.

:o

emm, more ram needed. 64 is a minimum!!!! are you sure you only have 12MB? what type and speed of processor do you have.

go to run and type dxdiag to have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

I'm sure he/she meant 128mb.

12mb is just madness!!

• Advertisement

yea, 16mb minimum, some refuse to boot at that.

128 sounds more like it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

hahah, sorry that was a mistake in my typing.

I (a he) have 128mb of ram.

!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    thats your lot, there are registry tweaks about, a prog called tweaki (download.com) is good for these.

Is there much difference between tweaki and tweakui?

one is an MS powertoy. Thats all I can remember. I dont really use either, I just make the changes manually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DefRag on a regular basis

Use 64mb as swap file, better still
    buy more memory - its dirt cheap.

Change file system to Network Server
    in Control Panel>System

Minimise "Read Ahead" setting in System

Tick "Disable write behind caching"
    function also in System

In Device manager enable DMA
    in Disk Drives>Properties>Settings

Disable screen savers

Disable Active Desktop in IE

Disable "Smooth edges of screen fonts" and disable "Show icons using all possible colours" find this in
    Effects section of Display Properties

Phew! :)

Also get hold of Easy Cleaner
    http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement