Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook Express Slooooow :(

Options
  • 08-03-2003 4:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK!!!

ive got a problem with outlook... it loads very very very very slowly and then almost hangs while trying to bring up any mails i want to look at then finally loads them and then slows down anytime i try to do anything else with it!

Ive got outlook express 5 or 6 im not sure which, i think its 6, and internet explorer 5.5, i also unforunately have windows98.

Are there any fixes to this?
    Has anyone else had this problem???

ive searched the internet in vain, none of the repair or uninstall/reinstall fixes work (it wont uninstall, it dissappears from the add/remove dialogue but outlook is still installed)

I dont really want to reinstall the windows so any workarounds known of will be appreciated.

Cheers:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

There's probably a better place to post this problem with your MS App/OS, but anyway.
    Take a look at this site:
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

Has some good stuff on fixing up OE.

And if it's IE 5.5 you have, then it's Outlook Express 5 that's installed.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is it possible that you would have installed a virus/worm?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

dont think its a virus,

i regularly check for viruses abd ive recently installed the latest patches (norton) altho ive just seen somewhere that if you upgrade and/or uninstall Mcafee (which ive done) it can mess up your outlook express...

im trying to solve it along those lines, checking out that site you gave me too,
    cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

how large is your mesage store, your dbx files?
    maybe they need compaction, and then try a defrag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Make sure you don't have "compact messages in the background" turned on as that happened to me before and OE was really slow doing everything. Its in "tools/options/maintenance" somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Got it sorted, it was slow due to uninstalling McAfee and reinstalling it, it messed up the infohlp.hlp fiel and pstores files, i simply got new copies of them from the internet and pasted them over the old ones! all is well with outlook express again!!!:cool:

Advertisement