Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injuries suffered while gaming?

Options
  • 08-03-2003 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

I've spilled hot coffee on myself when I banged the desk while playing Championship manager, and I'm a regular sufferer from "Dnc Elbow", like Tennis Elbow but suffered due to the crappy chairs in Dnc

anyone else hurt themselves while gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ya, every time I get the Street Fighter bug and play the game for hours on end, I usually loose most of the skin on the side of my thumb from doing fireballs and dragon punches all the time :D

Worth it tho.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I can remember, when I was younger falling back of my chair a few times when playing games, now I have become more of a pro at it, swing chairs that is, not gaming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ya, every time I get the Street Fighter bug and play the game for hours on end, I usually loose most of the skin on the side of my thumb from doing fireballs and dragon punches all the time
    lol, i've had to completely stop playing console games that don't have analogue support.

i think i fell off of a chair a few years back when i first played avp, not the best game to play when you're trying to wind down from the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I've got mild RSI in my right hand.. it only kicks in really badly if I do a lot of FPS gaming without a break though.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

A few mates of mine got 3 xboxes together yesterday and my right thumb is not in good shape as a result of my l337ness and getting 24 out of the 50 kills in a 6v6 dm :p. Probably about 6 hours of Halo will do that all right... everytime i press the spacebar it hurts :(

Worst thing I have ever done: Playing <shudders> Mario party, all the mini games are just tap the button as fast as you can cleverly disguised. One of em you gotta spin the stick as quick as you can. I used my palm and did a kind of clockwise "washing the windows" action. I must have misplaced it or did it too fast or something cuz I seperated my outer skin from the inner skin creating a kind of sag. A day or two with this thing getting bigger, I popped it, and my god did that sting as hell... I dunno what it was, a blister i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

just bad eyesight ! and somtime strain in wrist !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've gotten arm cramps from staying in one position for too long, blurry eyesight for playing too long eyestrain from squinting into the shadows while playing Thief, and way back in the day of the Atari 2600 I played a sports game called Decathlon and the prolonged periods of stick waggling (this was way back, when such games were considered really cool)left the palm of one hand raw and oozing for weeks.

Oh, and in the arcades years ago, I was playing a game called Kung Foo Master or some crap, and a sudden flick of the joystick caught a part of my hand between the stick and in under the panel it was attached to, and sliced a piece of skin off. It was a nasty deep cut thing that took weeks to heal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not me thankfully but a mate who wasnt a big games player and one of those people who feels on a platform game if they need the player to jump their hands must simulate the action.
    Anyway he was playing wonderboy on C64 few years back and he had to do a surprise jump and he jumped (was sitting ona the bottom bunk of a bunk bed) jumps up cracks his head on metal frame lets go of the joypad which was moving with force but had his put on the wire so it propelled the pad faster into my other mates head who was sitting beside him.
    Both needed 3 stitches each :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

My left wrist gets weak from too much quake, I cant lift anything with it or do any work, If I just sat right or used a support thing I could probably avoid it.

Punching the desk when I cant get by a part, thats hurt a few times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I completely split my hand playing Jungle Strike one day, second last map (took me a while to get there) and I'm running on fumes. I'm hauling ass to nearest fuel dump, dodging and weaving from enemy fire. I see the fuel and slow to a hover, suddenly I'm abushed from all sides and I try to take evasive manuvers and suddenly remembering that I need that fuel, I hover back and just about to grab the fuel when a SAM hits me from the side knocking me out of the way and i turn around blow it away winching the fuel up and I fall out of the sky.....no more lives, no more continues...

I broke the joypad off the table splitting my hand completely....

Abe's oddessy, the final part of it, i nearly broke my toe off the chair as i kicked it across the room...then to learn off my friend that there is 110 mudukons to save, I nearly hit him...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

I also have a Championship Manager injury, in the Champion's League Final when my team scored the winning goal. I jumped up and smacked my head off a light but as they say 'Pain is temporary but glory is forever!'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember the crappy snes D-pads gave me blisters the shape of arrows from to much SF2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

Originally posted by SearrarD
    I completely split my hand playing Jungle Strike one day, second last map (took me a while to get there) and I'm running on fumes. I'm hauling ass to nearest fuel dump, dodging and weaving from enemy fire. I see the fuel and slow to a hover, suddenly I'm abushed from all sides and I try to take evasive manuvers and suddenly remembering that I need that fuel, I hover back and just about to grab the fuel when a SAM hits me from the side knocking me out of the way and i turn around blow it away winching the fuel up and I fall out of the sky.....no more lives, no more continues...

I broke the joypad off the table splitting my hand completely....

Abe's oddessy, the final part of it, i nearly broke my toe off the chair as i kicked it across the room...then to learn off my friend that there is 110 mudukons to save, I nearly hit him...

rofl :D
    Yeah kinda noticed your temper somtimes in CS when ya start banging keyboards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I got Street fighter thumb back in 1992, but i dont get it anymore from Street fighter. If I play Quake too much my left wrist will start to hurt due to it hovering over the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

The priest gave me a flaking when he found me playing DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Don't listen to him, it's all about the gameplay and has nothing to do with the state of the art breast-wobbling subroutines...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Originally posted by Epitaph
    The priest gave me a flaking when he found me playing DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Hahah :)

Only injuries I've got whilst gaming are the classic Street Fighter thumbs, completely ****ed skin from doing dragon punches and fireballs on a D-pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Yea those d-pads on the snes controllers were right f***kers.

Street fighter 2 and mortal kombat 2 were the worst culprits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Street fighter alpha 2 was the one i really bloxd me fingers wit. All those Alpha moves(or whatever they were called) ryu's super fireball, ken's firey dragon punch, akumas thing where he just drifts towards your opponent and the screen goes white then theyre on the ground with half health gone.... good times!

LP LP -> LK HP :>
    or Y Y B -> L on the snes ( I dunno why the changed it)

SUpAH AkuMa COmBO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

Until reading these i thought that i was bad,
    once my brother rented out a playstation game,went by the name of Ape Escape,extremely difficlult to finish without the aid of both analogue stick-the only way would be to be skilled in the art of zen playstation, anyway,
    the left analogue stick didn't work properly and the rubber casing of it was gone so all that was there was hard plastic, despite an ever increasingly sore thumb i managed to get more than half way through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Not really an injurie but i did fall off the chair the first time i played doom ( dodging an imp's fireball ) ;)

COMBATCOW

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Not really an injurie but i did fall off the chair the first time i played doom ( dodging an imp's fireball ) ;)

COMBATCOW

You must be one of those "physical" gamers, who are very animated when it comes do playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I've curently got a case of 'Street fighter thumb' but its not a problem. All the skin on the middle joint of my thumb is now formed a calous. it took a few blisteres to get here but now it doesn't hurt doing a dragon punch:D

btw which would u say is harder akuma's super combo or super moves that require double half circles of the d-pad like dhalsims yoga inferno

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I have had slight repetitive stress in my right wrist... at least I think it was from gaming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Gilbert
    You must be one of those "physical" gamers, who are very animated when it comes do playing games

Yup i also hide under my desk when im playin BF1942,to avoid snipers ;)

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

My thumb regularly goes numb for a few days after playing TOCA2 on the PS. It seems i've got it in my head that the more pressure i put on the button the faster the car will go....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

CM causes me to get very aggressive, and once made me cry.
    I got so aggressive once that i smacked the table themonitor was on and broke it in half, causing the monitor to collapse. Also, when i used to get beaten by lessers in DOA2 i'd end up hitting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Besides the usual worn thumbs.

I was given a black eye by my mom the first (and only) time she played mario cart on the SNES. She was whipping the control around yunno tryna get the car to turn(One of those "physical" players) and bam right into the face.

Then theres the time i dislocated a finger hitting the monitor, dont even remember what i was playing.(the monitor was fine btw)

Hmmmm, what else, oh ya the chronic neck pain, not caused by hours in front of the PC but it cant help.

hmm im sure theres something im forgetting, ah well itll come to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Squall
    Besides the usual worn thumbs.

I was given a black eye by my mom the first (and only) time she played mario cart on the SNES. She was whipping the control around yunno tryna get the car to turn(One of those "physical" players) and bam right into the face.

LoL :D
    I love 'physical player' who feel the need to steer the control pad in racing games.

My left thumb is always killing me after Jonuh Lomu rugby.

Advertisement