Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injuries suffered while gaming?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Horsefumbler
    I've curently got a case of 'Street fighter thumb' but its not a problem. All the skin on the middle joint of my thumb is now formed a calous. it took a few blisteres to get here but now it doesn't hurt doing a dragon punch:D

btw which would u say is harder akuma's super combo or super moves that require double half circles of the d-pad like dhalsims yoga inferno

Akumas Raging Dragon is easy once you memorise it. Dhalsims is more of a feat, as its more awkward on the thumbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Pops off fake arm

Grenade blast in Goldeneye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I had my lip burst.
    Basically I was in a friends house and we were playing Golden Eye. There was quite a few of us there and the guy that owned the game was beating everyone. Then I beat him and he got so pissed off he punched me in the mouth.
    I've strained my neck playing Pro Ev 2, just because of the way I sit. And I've hurt the joints in both thumbs thanks to Gran Turismo 3.
    Also Mario Kart has seen me throw a control pad off a wall bounce back and hit me in the chest. Quite sore.
    Finally CM has had me sprain my wrist by punching the wall after I was winning comfortably in the CL final and then going behind very late on and losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Me and some friends used to bale around to one of our mates house's for extended bouts of Streetfighter 2 on the Megadrive. Things got kinda 'rowdy' from time to time. One of the guys used to ALWAYS pick Chun Lee and do the whole jump-lighting kick-jump-lighting kick routine which had us all foxed. Then outta the blue I picked Balrog and got 2 perfects on him in a row. There was such celebrations in the room and everyone was giving Chun Lee boy a slagging, when he looses the plot and went postal and dished out dead arms like a machine! We all hammered him back and there we were, all fcuked up and annoyed. Sort of spoiled the mood after that...
    Other moments.... I tend to bite my PS2 joypads a lot outta frustration. Have punched the bedroom door, the walls, the floor...literally I've punched up my entire bedroom at times. I can still remember getting Spiderman for the PS1 from a friend - jesus, I cried at times I was that frustrated. And tried to rip my favorite black joypad in half and very nearly succeeded.
    There was another time when I was playing Medal of Honour on the PC - there is a level with loads of snipers in a train yard. I was doing well, getting near the end, when a sniper just popped me, outta nowhere. I screamed "BAST@RD" at the PC, jumped out of my seat and was going to storm out of the room....only I tripped over the dog who was asleep in the doorway and landed on my face in the hall. Put simply, I totally lost the plot for about 10 minutes! Not pretty, especially when yer ma and da just s****** at you, while you're frothing at the mouth and ranting like a religious fanatic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy 5 and Tactics do the same to me. I walk around the house like a mad man ranting and swearing at random for five minutes. It really isn't fair that you can't hurt the games if they annoy you.

• Advertisement

I'm guilty of dealing out punishment to my friends if i'm beaten in a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

i suffer from ' when you cant beat something run blindly at it about a hundred times thinking this time im gonna make it' of course i dont and end up going ****ing mental at something, younger sisters usually get the brunt of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Playing Colony Wars on the PS with no memory card and a crappy television, by the time i finished my eyes were dry, completely bloodshot, couldn't see for days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

this isnt my injury! but...

on FF7 I had an 80hour game save (first time playing it and i was very methodical and enjoying the random battles)...I went off to a friends house for a few hours and when i came back i found my brother playing the game from the start...I was happy to see that he was going to start something special...i was beyond livid when i saw him overwrite my save game file...(I had only one file due to low space on the memory card)...

I kicked the **** out of him for a good 10 minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I forgot to mention the nasty knots in my shoulders from playing Aliens vs. Predator on the PC for any great length of time.

Also, I don't move my hands much when playing, and I get freezing and sore, stiff hands from circulation shutting down to those areas...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I hit him as hard as I could. Just a dead arm... But like the asshole he was/is(hes notorious for being a ****in asshole to play against), he has to hit me back....

Anyone else find that distrurbing :)

Also most of the posts in this thread do prove that video games make you a psycho.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

ehh, i never choked any1, or kicked em in the balls and ran off.

Hey, games may make u a psyco but atleast they entertain u aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Correction: They dont make you a physco, they just release the physco in you.

(Well more like push him out, kicking and screams and bringing your vitals out with him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That's actually quite worrying. Seriously, how hard is it to use a bit of restraint and just utter something profane and blasphemous instead?

Check out "When CS players go bad", do you really want to end up like him?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

most recently I've been experiencing a case of right eye muscle twitching. its more annoying than anything else but i think i'll lay off the pc games for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Rnger
    Well anyways he circles our base killing me over and over and over.... about 6 times or something without me even taking his shield off him. I just cracked, I wouldnt usually take out anger in games on someone verbally or physically but I hit him as hard as I could. Just a dead arm... But like the asshole he was/is(hes notorious for being a ****in asshole to play against), he has to hit me back.... I just jumped up, put my hands on his neck like to choke him, and kneed him in the nuts soooooooo hard. He fell on the ground in pain. "Cya" and i went home.
    You're an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CyberMart

Originally posted by *NemesiS*
    rofl :D
    Yeah kinda noticed your temper somtimes in CS when ya start banging keyboards :p

LOL
    Forget the keyboards
    What about the Headphones........WOW
    lucky its his own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well years ago i riped a huge chunk of skin off the plam of my hand. It stung like hell and took months to heal back up. There was blood too!

Anyway i was using one of those old black Atari joy pads with the orange button! The top had worn down to the bare metal and i riped my hand open while playing Daly Thompsons decathlon on the C64! Them joypads were tough but so did youre hands have to be to use them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GIME

This isnt an injury but its a lot worse. I heard of a guy who was playing a pc game for about 86 hours non-stop. After three days of no sleep your body starts to not function properly [believe me, i konw] and he just died. it was mentioned in the paper but it happened a while ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Praetorian is like that. I remember the one and only time I beat him at starcraft he started making loads of excuses. I was rubbing it in though.

However I never hit him and he never hit me. Your just a psycho who should be put in St. Itas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

thnx for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

I'Ve gotten RSI in my right wrist from playing Half-Life for 3 - 5 hours perday for a month or 2.

a couple of games have given me sore eyes, and complete blindness for about 5 seconds when i stand up (i get really bad headrush), and i thought my brain was going to go out the escape hatch after i played Redneck Rampage Rides Again for 5 1/2 HOURS SOLID one sunday afternoon......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

What is RSI?

Something really weird happend to me last friday come to think of it...
    Myself and a few friends went to that new oblivion internet cafe from 10pm to 8am for 12 yoyos. Anyways we were playing cs and after playing dust a bit and not being able to see ****all in the corridors, i turned the gamma up. I dont how to explain this.... I must have turned it up to high or something, it was about 4 am at the time i think. i really dont know how to explain this... ok... I got this weird feeling in my head like a huge load of blood rushing through my brain very fast. I just had to get away from the screen. I was fine as soon as i turned the brightness down. But that was weird... like my the front part of my brain was on fire or something, sounds crazy i know, like one these odd unique pains. Like hitting ur funny bone. Come to think of all sorts of crap has happend to me going to them all-nighters...

I deleted those other messeges i posted cuz i just dont think ull ever understand unless u knew him or was there

Repetitive strain injury (RSI)
    Caused by the same repetitive motion repeated again and again. Can cause joints to swell up causing pain and discomfort. Located mainly in the wrist/elbow/shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it was Ryan (can't remember his current handle) managed to collapse a chair in Netshop and ended up on his butt on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brync

Hey Teeth!

Are you sure that RSI is from gaming? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

Sometimes i get so annoyed if i'm beaten in Tekken Tag/3 by dirty tactics like what can be done with a special True Ogre-Yoshimitsu mix,I get so annoyed i feel like hitting the other person. Apart from the annoyance i also want to fight them like i couldn't beat them in the game but i can in real life but mostly it's just endlessly demanding a rematch. It doesn't happen in anything else just fighting games. Good job i don't own a car or a gun or a katana or a nuclear submarine with longrange nuclear strike capability, i'd probably challenge the other person to settle it up in the real world.

Recentlyish i was playing my brother in Tekken Tag and we bet 5 euro a game in Tekken, I ended up losing 25 euro, i could beat him in 8-8 team battle but he just whopped me with his yoshi/T.Ogre double team in versus and as it went on we just stayed doing versus matches. He's not going to see that money for a long time caus i'm a poor college student...hopefully i'll be able to win it back somehow.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Completly locked up left thumb for about two days thanks to the original GameBoy's right anled bit.

Knackered eyes from staying on the PS2 for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

Pity you can't sue the oul companies for the oul injuries but at least some people seem to understand. A guy my brother knows not so recently destroyed his playstation in a blind fury, told the people at Smyths what happened and he got another one off them under the gaurantee, it's pretty lame by the way that you only get one that refurbished normally, because the PS(2) shouldn't have been defective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement