Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning cds?

Options
  • 09-03-2003 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

What is the best way to clean cds? I got cd wipes but they leave cds with big streaks and unplayable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

From the information that was included on all early cd inlays:

"It can be wiped (always in a straight line from centreto edge) with a clean and lint-free soft, dry cloth. Never use a solvent or abrasive cleaner to clean the disc."

I've found its usually much better than buying wipes etc. which can end up ruining the disc.

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

what to do if they're scratched to ****, not a single deep scratch, but significant portions .. uhhhh .. heavily grazed ... i guess :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You can buy some things that you stick your cd in and it spins round scraping off the bottom edge and leaving it shiny. The information isn't stored on the plastic, on a cd, but on the other side of the label so it doesn't really matter if the plastic is scratched if you really want to receive the info. back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

i have a friend who uses dry gin to clean his cds, never seemed like a very good idea to me but it seems to work for him

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well there is a thingy called GameDoctor which claims to clean discs and repair minor scratches.

You can see it here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i tend to use whatever clothing i am wearing when i clean my cds. i have done so with since i bought my first cd and have had no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i tend to use whatever clothing i am wearing when i clean my cds. i have done so with since i bought my first cd and have had no problems
    I do this too, but I'm really careful with my cds (I don't know why). Unless it came from an isp, in which case I consider it to be a frisbee.

Advertisement