Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Challenge!

• 09-03-2003 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I've just moved in with my girlfriend and we are considering how best to link up all the bits and bobs of tech gear. We also want to upgrade on a budget of about 300-400 euro.

So we have 2 desktops; (only one monitor + keyboard, currently on crossover)
    1st is 300Mhz PII 160MB 6Gb Win98
    2nd is 266Mhz PII 128MB 6gb + 8GB Win98
    Both have ethernet cards

One laptop
    PII 366Mhz 128MB 6GB Win95
    Has credit card modem but not ethernet.
    HP Deskjet. External Zip drive.

I already have a hub, and will network the 3 machines for (hopefully) file sharing, printer/zip drive and internet connection sharing. All machines currently have software firewalls.

Any suggestions for getting the most bang for our buck on this setup. I don't mind doing processor/motherboard upgrades, just have never tackled one before.

I'm also considering stripping one of the desktops down to a Linux box (for the hell of it...but also to act as a server/firewall to the net connection, but this will be my first Linux install)

Any thoughts sensei?

Advertisement