Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cat A provisional motorbikes

Options
  • 09-03-2003 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

hi
    Does anyone have any recommendations on bikes > 125cc that can be restricted to the 33bhp whilst on a provisional licence? What is the main effect of the restriction - both acceleration and top speed?
    Thanks
    mobpd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's not easy ... to get an A rather than A1 license you must take the test on a bike > 150cc.

However the bike must put out less than 33bhp. This would ideally be a 250cc motorbike, only problem is they're just not made/sold anymore. I think that there are only 1 or 2 new 250cc bikes on the market. By the time you get to 400cc+ they're just over the 33bhp limit.

These can be restricted however, so any 2nd hand bike 400-600cc is ideal for restricting.

Just about any bike can be restricted, I've heard about Honda Blackbirds etc being restricted, *BUT* neither of the insurance companies will take account of the de-restriction on their insurance charges. You still pay as if your R1 is putting out 150bhp, even though its now only got 33bhp.

I was recomended to buy something like a Transalp (this is mainly for Dublin commuting). I ended up with a '97 BMW F650 (paid about E3,500), which I got restricted. I love it. Only problem is that the test wait is now over 6 months ........ and you've got to stay at 33bhp for 2 years after that.

Oh well,

pH

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I have a bandit 600 which is restricted by suzuki themselves to 33bhp it's the barnd new model, the restrictor is taken into acount with the insurance too. You can also get the gs 500 and I think you can get the sv 650 with the restrictor too.

After these you could look for a honda cb 250, yamaha virago 250 or a honda bros 400, I think all three of these are under 33bhp (i'm not sure bout the bros) there all category 5 insurance just like the bandit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

A dealer informed me that the authorities in Ireland have no facility for testing the power output of a bike and that it's never even come to court.
    The insurance company is covering you on the bike model unrestricted so you're not breaking the law there.
    He said that if you crash your unrestricted 1100cc crotch rocket on a provisional you'll be prosecuted but if it's something like a Virago 566 they can't prove it's output was greater than the 33bhp allowed. They could possibly send it to the UK but it'd be a bit difficult to test a crashed engine.

Disclaimer: This is just what I heard from a bike dealer.

I'm still on a provisional and am riding a Jap import Kawasaki Vulcan 400 cruiser which appartently is close enough to the 33 bhp limit that it makes no difference.

Don't get a 125 or you'll want to upgrade in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

When you get a restrictor fiotted you get a cert from the place that fitted it that it is restricted this is waht you show so you can drive the bike. One of the old ways I herad for checking for unrestricted engines was revving them and if they red line there iis no restrictor present.

On the not of a crashed engine they can examine the engine to see if a restrictor is present it is a physical component of the engine after all, if you claim tha tthere is one on the bike they WILL check. If you tell your insurance company that you have the restricton and you then remove it without telling them, then have a crash your in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

id say get a 125 and id try to sell u mine if they were insurable
    the rs125 puts out 33bhp and weighs 114kilos so its as fast as a cbr250 after take off were it only slightly loses out
    4 stroke 250's are about 40-45bhp but all fall into the category due to power to weight for some reason(they are lardy!)
    i wouldnt go for a cruiser personally but i like my corners :)
    u can get factory restricted fazer/bandit/hornet 600's that will do about 100mph but only lose a slight bit of their pull off speed, i think they are group6?
    u can also lie ur ass off like many do and if u have mates in a garage can get a restritor put in and taken off but this is dodgy
    they bike tyre company have a rollin road as do santry motorcycles which can give the true rwbhp of ur bike, but i dont think they could be used in prosecution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I would recommend getting something that is learner friendly...

The 125s are under-powered, and you'll soon be yearning for something a little quicker..

CBR250s are pretty expensive for what you get, but are a great deal of fun.. Power and weight are about right for a learner.

The 'learner' (commuter) bikes (e.g. Honda CB500, etc.) are pretty much ideal, and can all be restricted.. However, these are quite unexciting...

I'd go for one of the factory restricted bikes.. As mentioned, you do get to avail of a very low insurance class (help you pay for the helmet, protective clothes and lessons!), and you can de-restrict them after you pass your test (but this'll cost you in the region of 300 squids)..

I was asking a dealer about this at the weekend for a friend, and he said that there were a few more factory restricted (ins. category 5 or 6) bikes coming out.. e.g. Bandit (out for a while), Fazer 600, CBR600(dunno if that's right, though), and last of all, SV650..

Having ridden an SV650 for the last two years, I would heartily endorse this as a learner's bike (particularly with low cat. insurance). A really fantastic bike.. Easy to ride, and enough power (unrestricted) to keep you going until you're ready to move onwards and upwards...

Well, best of luck with the purchase!

Advertisement