Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids dyeing their own hair

Options
  • 09-03-2003 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭

Sitting on a bus this morning the teenager next to me had dyed (really obvious) red hair and I though "when I have my own children, when would I allow them dye their hair?" And I was thinking 15, but maybe highlights "or stuff" at 12.

But then I thought about my sisters agreement with her kids are they can get their ears pierced at 12, so am I over-reacting (I have yet to hear of someone getting an infection / bleeding after dyeing their hair, so dyeing is less than piercing in my book)?

When would you allow you children dye their own hair (without your "permission")? 27 votes

under 12
    0% 0 votes
    7% 2 votes
    22% 6 votes
    51% 14 votes
    "not under my roof"
    18% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It's rare, but some people can have a very bad allergic reaction to hair colours even if they've used them before (happened to me last summer), so I wouldn't be happy about my (future) kids dyeing their hair until they were old enough to understand about patch tests etc. I'd be OK about them dyeing their hair from about early teens on, but going by the way I ruined my own hair at that age I'd prefer if they went to a hairdresser to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry, when I said dye their own hair, I mean get their own hair dyed, not necessarily do it themselves. I mean the decision / choice, not the action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

IT depends on what you mean by dye,

would i take my 12 yr odl or 15 yr odl to a salon and pay for a pro dyejob with streaks or highlights and take them and pay for the up keep every 3 mnth ? no are you mad !!!!

if either of my kids at 15 + want to try a hair colour that eventually washes out well then ok . But i will try and try to get them to choose something reasonible. but if they really want a green or clue head of hair and are willing to pay for it themsleves ( pocket money or savings ) fine they have to live with it.

Better that then saying no and them coming home with a tatooo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Victor,

totally different options(percieved) in your thread starter. Dyed Hair and Ear Piercing in the same question. Not even in the same ball-park (IMO).

I have a 4YO who has her ears pierced. Primarily because she 'wanted' it (and myself and herself agreed on it).

If ahe had said "I want to dye my hair black". Eh.... No Feffing Way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I'd say it depends on the colour too.. I'd let my kids dye their hair a natural colour, like blonde
    But definetly not blue/red/green or any other mad colour;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Im 16 and have never had my hair dyed or have any intention on doing it. Too much effort and it oftens looks pretty bad.

Speaking from a parents point of view (which i amnt :p) I wouldnt care if my <shudders at the thought> child was to shave one side of his/her head and get the other side dyed pink. OR whatever. You get the point. It's their choice. Let them make their own mistakes(Unless their HUGE mistakes of course eg. the mistake of finding out they cant drive a car without lessons). But getting your hair dyed is a temporary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

My one opinion would be whne they can put together a reasonable arguement and explain the pros and cons then go for it. There would be one proviso though: I'm allowed take photos and show them at all future large events (birthdays, graduation, meeting the boyfriend, weddings, etc.) :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I cant say i agree with children and in some cases babies having their ears done.
    i have seen a lot 1 year olds with their ears done and think that it is close to abusing your child.

i was very surpized when my lil boy started school there i s even split in his class 10 grils and 10 boys and 4 of the boys had an earing.

i had to wait until I was 12 to get my ears peirced and well can understand it for maybe communion age 7ish but not any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Hobart
    totally different options(percieved) in your thread starter. Dyed Hair and Ear Piercing in the same question. Not even in the same ball-park (IMO).
    Yes they are, thats why I asked the question. Piercing is more intrusive than dyeing, my sisteer allow piercing at 12.
    Originally posted by Hobart
    I have a 4YO who has her ears pierced. Primarily because she 'wanted' it (and myself and herself agreed on it).
    I agree with Thaed on this. Are you happy that she can prevent infections and accidents? What other parts will she be allowed pierce and when?

[sarcasm]After all, it is *her* body. [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

are we talking just bleaching?
    i love all wild hair colours eg: green, blue etc
    i dont see the problem with kids expressing individuality. if you ask me its better than conforming due to peer pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

i started dying my hair when i was 12 it hasn't had any bad effect on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Originally posted by ferdi
    are we talking just bleaching?
    i love all wild hair colours eg: green, blue etc
    i dont see the problem with kids expressing individuality. if you ask me its better than conforming due to peer pressure.

Hehe... Green Day fan!!

Ok.... bleaching is good.
    Can't honestly see much point in dying your hair another (natural) hair colour when there are so many better/bolder options out there!
    Heh.. I favour Tangerine....it comes out most delightfully offensively orange!

I also don't see any reason to go paying hairdressers lots when you can have fun doing the job yourself... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'm not sure what ages I would allow it at certainly they would have to be old enough that they would still want it to be dyed in a weeks after they did it :)

I wouldn't be too happy if they wanted a different "natural" colour or I thought it was about fitting in with some bull**** concept of beauty rather than having fun with their appearance and expressing their individuality. But blue or green I'd probably be happy with in their very early teens or maybe even younger as long as it wasn't because all their friends had blue hair or whatever.

Piercing is a trickier issue. I don't want them to mutiliate their ears (or any other bits) until they are 18 (when I'm still not happy about the idea, but it's none of my business), but I do understand that it is common in this culture to do so.

Advertisement