Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Speeds

Options
  • 09-03-2003 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

Has been happening the last few days
    using IOL Free to dial up.
    When I do it says 46.6 but I done a speed test and it gives diffent speeds :confused:

Whats goin wrong ?

Heres an example

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

The difference between your connection speed and the actual conenction rate to specific remote servers will always be there.

Just some of the factors are contention (at both your ISP and the remote host) the distance to the remote server, the pipe the remote server is on, the quality of your phone line, and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I realise that but 1 night the speed test said 9.xx kbps and yet I was connected at "46.6kbps" should it have gone that low ?

Yep, sometimes lower, you'll also -never- get 46kbps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Damn it.
    Thanx for the help

BRING ON IRISHBROADBAND!!!

YOu'll generally get a 'cleaner' signal from ISDN, you should actually get a 64k connection, etc. Otherwise, we'll hold our breaths until real broadband arrives :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Yep, sometimes lower, you'll also -never- get 46kbps :)

What do you mean you'll never get that speed? I do all the time and the transfer rates are correct for those connection speeds.

Advertisement