Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i-stream +vpn

Options
  • 09-03-2003 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,my brother is currently a customer of i-stream,but he's very interested in getting Sattelite adsl(Netsystem) as it has a larger dl cap,does eircom support vpn connections?would he be able to connect to Netsystem trough eircoms i-stream isp or not?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

while i havent even bother to look up the service i can tell you now its nothing like ADSL. DSL services are supplied over land lines. This would apear to be either a one way or two way service using sat's. this service is completely differnt to ADSL If its one way you will use you normal land line to unload. theres probably some kinda queuing incaged so you can't use real time downloading. Pings are crap with any sat service which makes them virtually unusable from web browsing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 romi

Thanks for the quick reply,
    I know its not the same as dsl because I am currently using netsystem and it is only good after 12am,I get speeds up to 80kb/s and I am using utvip flatrate,I just wanted to know if it would be possible to use it across eircom i-stream,thanks again.

Originally posted by romi
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    I know its not the same as dsl because I am currently using netsystem and it is only good after 12am,I get speeds up to 80kb/s and I am using utvip flatrate,I just wanted to know if it would be possible to use it across eircom i-stream,thanks again.

I think i get where you coming from, you want to know could you use Eircom adsl for the uploud path instead of a dial up account? I think those sat services require you to conect to a phone number so i doubt it, but if you using some kind of queuing system for donwloads you could use adsl to queue things and then download them over the sat service. I wouldn't be worried about this untill eircom start chanrging you for going over the cap. Also that cap is on data transferred so its on both download and upload. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

The unlimited Netsystem you're thinking of is history. If you go to their website now, they only offer 6gig packages. And some others costing a bit more but again limited to 10 to 15 gigs. Which is fine if you don't pull more than that per month.

On the good days I could pull around 2.5 gigs a day, but that was only during the night which didn't really harm anybody. The problem was internet cafes continuously abusing the network and crapping it up for everyone else. Apparently most of them were in the eastern european countries.

I'm leaving netsytem now in favour of unlimited ADSL in stab city. Twill be a while b4 I get connected though. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

would a sky dish be viable for netsystem

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    would a sky dish be viable for netsystem
    Doubtfull but if i remember correctly its something very similiar. They used to have links to irish distributars on their site.

I was actually going to get this, way back when it first started up. seemed pretty good at the time and i had snl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Err... I've been using a sky dish for 6 months with no problem. I have 82% signal quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 romi

It's history for new clients and for those who recieved an email,I have not recieved one so I'm still on unlimited DL.
    Boston,Thanks alot,I should be getting Leap soon so I was going to give my Netsystem account to my brother which is on eircon adsl,hopefully it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Boston
    Also that cap is on data transferred so its on both download and upload. Hope this helps

It's not, it's only on downloaded traffic.
    romi, you can setup VPN connections over Eircom's DSL, I don't know if what you're trying to do will work though, I'm not familiar with Netsystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

i have netsystem.. dont use a sky dish (have that too). But its fine if your on the east coast anyway... I cant say for sure but a VPN connection should be fine with adsl.. good idea.. if i get ADSL i could keep netsystem as there is no cap

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    It's not, it's only on downloaded traffic.
    romi, you can setup VPN connections over Eircom's DSL, I don't know if what you're trying to do will work though, I'm not familiar with Netsystem.

No offence but your persuming something. And untill people start getting charged you dont know. I say data transferred because thats the way any wholesale supplier will charge for bandwidth. Unless of course you suggesting eircom is going to take one for the team.

No offence but your persuming something.

None taken, but I'm not persuming anything.
    From www.adsl.ie:
    **eircom reserves the right to charge 3c ex VAT per MB for material downloaded over and above the stated monthly allowance.

Hmm interesting. I can't see the point in that, except to make money

Hmm interesting. I can't see the point in that, except to make money
    Err, why else would they be charging people for something then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

is making money not the point of all commerical ventures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Technically netsystem would work with eircon's i-fleece service although netsystem have changed their system recently. The downloads used to use only the satellite, but now they are pushed through the vpn (dial-up or dsl) connection so it would use up your dsl limit.

Apart from that they are a completely untrostworthy shower that I would highly reccomend staying clear of. I signed up a year in advance for their 350Kb/s and 1Mb/s overnight uncapped service. It was often worse than dial-up during the day because they heavily oversubscribed the service, so I only used it during the night for which I got about 600Kb/s most of the time. Then they sent out an e-mail accusing me of abusing the service and informing me that they were capping the service to 6GB/month (This was sent to a large number of subscribers at once, apparently I am an albanian internet cafe that only operates after 2am!). Now my speeds are capped at 150kb/s and they will not respond to my e-mails for a resumption of the service I paid for or a refund.

IMO Satellite based broadband is a non-starter, the cost of the satellite bandwith requires selling space at very high contention ratios to make a profit without charging huge subscriptions.

Advertisement