Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas update

Options
  • 09-03-2003 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0309/luas.html
    Brennan admits Luas behind schedule, over budget
    March 9, 2003 (17:39)

The Minister for Transport, Séamus Brennan, has conceded that the first Luas trains will not run in Dublin until next year, despite firm promises before last summer's general election that the system would be launched during 2003.

Minister Brennan also admitted that the latest estimated cost for completing Luas was €691m, an increase of €16m from initial estimates.

Speaking in Dublin he announced that he is to publish monthly reports on budgets and completion dates for major infrastructure projects funded by his department.

Meahwhile: Luas website .....
    "Delivery of trams for lines A, B and C is currently underway and construction is targeted for completion by the end of 2003."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

oh man, i do love these luas updates:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

not the worst over-run/time delay I have seen,
    the last section of the M50 is gonna be years late and
    I should imagine crazy monso over budget ....

I am not saying that makes a LUAS overrun-overtime ok,
    but it in fairness, it could be alot worse ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by MDR

I'd tend to agree. In an Ireland of a motorway that's far longer overdue, and a non-existent stadium that cost us almost half a billion euros (WTF?!?! :mad: ), €16m over budget, and a few months overdue aren't so much of a scandal anymore :)

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by MDR

It's not done yet. Wait till this time next year and we'll probably be hearing about it coming in 2005. I'm a doubting Thomas when it comes to this government.

Originally posted by seamus
    I'd tend to agree. In an Ireland of a motorway that's far longer overdue, and a non-existent stadium that cost us almost half a billion euros (WTF?!?! :mad: ), €16m over budget, and a few months overdue aren't so much of a scandal anymore :)

damn castles getting in the way :D ... don't get me started on this. Any bunch of people, be they governments, civil servants or church choirs who don't learn the for the mistakes of the past, should be exiled to ... um ... turkmanistan ....

Apparentily that 1/2 billion that was spent in the stadium hasn't gone down the tubes as the new plans (whomsoever will be funding it) will be using it. All this monso was spent on the plans, an environment impact study, transport study etc ... all of which appartentily are quite dear ....

Despite all this, I am confident we will see LUAS up and running in the first half of next year ... NDP project (apart from the M50 of course .... :rolleyes: ) usually come in within a month or two of their projected completion dates ... some (the Dunleer bypass) even come in earily.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MDR
    Apparentily that 1/2 billion that was spent in the stadium hasn't gone down the tubes as the new plans (whomsoever will be funding it) will be using it. All this monso was spent on the plans, an environment impact study, transport study etc ... all of which appartentily are quite dear ....

A lot of people have made a lot of money from our governments incompetance.

A lot of people have made a lot of money from our governments incompetance.

:eek:
    but if the plans are going to be used,
    are they still then incompetant (in this matter),
    sometimes its a matter of perspective ?
    sometimes I like simple answers,
    sometimes there aren't any.

Originally posted by MDR
    :eek:
    but if the plans are going to be used,
    are they still then incompetant (in this matter),
    sometimes its a matter of perspective ?
    sometimes I like simple answers,
    sometimes there aren't any.

Of course they're incompetant. Everything they do runs over budget and over time. Why is it other countries can build state of the art stadiums for €100,000,000 but our government insist on spending €1,000,000,000. The LUAS is the same. The M50 is just as bad. I'm beginning to wonder if there's every gonna be a project that isn't fcuked up in this country. The Aquatic Centre opened today supposedly on time and within budget but I seem to remember the contract for running the place originally been given to some off the shelf company that was never investigated. I just hope that when the LUAS comes to fruition that it's not a complete disaster.

Why is it other countries can build state of the art stadiums for €100,000,000 but our government insist on spending €1,000,000,000.

Labour costs, cost of the site, building inflation etc variables a government has great difficulty in controling. Sure you can build a cheap stadium in cardiff but the costs I have outlines above are half over there ... 'cos more or less their economic is up sh*te creek.
    . The M50 is just as bad. I'm beginning to wonder if there's every gonna be a project that isn't fcuked up

Given your negative commentrary to date on almost everyting, I don't think their is anything that any Irish person/Company outside maybe of Micheal O'leary or Roy Keane can do that is right. The fact of the matter is that stuff like this is tapestry that makes up the daily life of most democratic countries, I would love the greens to get elected for a couple of years to highlight that its not simply a matter of bad government, its matter of bad culture.
    I seem to remember the contract for running the place originally been given to some off the shelf company that was never investigated

Yeah, but the centre is open on time and within budget ... so eh where is the problem. Tabloid media will always find issue with something, its how they sell papers. I read through the whole investigation on the company running the centre ... it was a storm in teacup ... blown out of proportion.

well, we're always gonna disagree anyway Ray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MDR
    NDP project (apart from the M50 of course .... :rolleyes: ) usually come in within a month or two of their projected completion dates ... some (the Dunleer bypass) even come in earily.
    The Dunleer bypass was finished several years before the NDP was thought of.

The Duleek bypass then ... it was one or the other ... the one closest to Dundalk ....

Originally posted by MDR
    The Duleek bypass then ... it was one or the other ... the one closest to Dundalk ....

Duleek is a village in Meath. I think you might be talking about the extension to the Dunleer bypass that now bypasses Castlebellingham too. Not sure though.

good point,

very good chippy in Dunleer ....
    not to mention incinerators,

the name of the bypass is question is "Dunleer/Dundalk (inc Ardee Link)" ... courtesy of www.ndp.ie .

Advertisement