Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drummer help!!

• 09-03-2003 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

im a drummer have been playing for about 12 years now, when i was 16 -18 years old i played in heavy metal bands.. then i got into more pink floyd type stuff,
    the problem is that when i was that age i was a fúckin damn good double bass drummer, and could blow people off stage with double bass solo's.....
    but now im 25 and can hardly play a basic roll on the kick drums, im in another band now where double bass is required, and im just getting more and more frustrated.... is it just that im out of shape, or im sitting at the wrong height on my stool or what is it, it is really pissing me off cos its what i was renouned for and now i cant even do basic sfuff on the bassdrums.

Please help if anyone know any good techniques for practicing etc... im lost at the moment, i have listened to demo's of myself playing like 8 years ago and i just shake my head saying how the hell did i play that?? i cant even attemtp it now, lol maybe i was abducted by rock and roll lovin aliens and they took my foot cordination away :(

thanks
    later
    Macker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Ok,
    First you gotta identify the problem,
    Is it coordination or fitness/speed or both :(
    or something else?

Any way if you could do it before you can do it again.
    Its like riding a bike, you'll be a bit rusty but with practice you'll get it back.

Start out with easy simple stuff, you may feel its beneath you but its probably worth going back to basic's.
    Think back, what music were u listening to when you were uh good, then start practicing that.

If its fitness maybe you should get back on a bike heh heh and get those legs pumping, too much booze methinks.

Any way get ur self a metranome and put in some good productive practice.

Start out slow and build back up to your former glory.

Good Luck

Did i mention i don't know anything about drums
    and most ppl think of me as a lier or fool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Cheers Jaicster mate,
    i suppose practice for ages is the plan, ill pick up a metronome and start playin to that,
    cheers

Later
    Macker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dudeRancher

You could also try switching what you play with your hands to your feet. You can do this completely, playing what you'd normally play on the hi-hat/ride and snare with your feet, or you can switch your hi-hat/ride hand with one of your feet (or both if you're feeling adventurous ;))

Personally, I don't use a double-kick for the exact reason that it's bloody hard and I think I can get a decent sound without one. But I know guys who do use 'em and yes, they do indeed rock.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Do paradiddles, faster and faster with just your feet. Stick to your rudiments. Do you play "heel up" or "heel down"? It may have an effect...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

thanks lads,
    i play heel up, gonna blow the dust off the rudiments sheets i have at home and try that, i have a bass practice pad so ill bring the double bass pedals and hook them up to that, hopefully ill be back to my former glory hehe, oh and ill get one of them little metronome... can u still get them little electric ones? i think they were pretty cheap

cheers lads,
    Later
    Macker

• Advertisement
Advertisement