Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does the dsl installation consist of?

Options
  • 09-03-2003 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

Hello there,
    I am booked for the adsl upgrade by eircom on friday morning - its the enhanced version and i am supplying my own router.
    What can I expect?
    Will it take long?
    will they be asking about whether i want static IPs and that then?
    is it messy?
    Any info from people that have had this done already in a home office environment or similar would be great.
    cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

It's quite quick, painless, and not messy.

First the engineer tracks down your first phone point. Replaces that with a splitter box (it still works as a phone point, and filters the other phone points. He runs a length of CAT3 to wherever your PC/router is located and sticks a fresh RJ11 socket on the end of it.

At that point I waved goodbye to the nice man from Eircom (after he tested the thing with his own laptop and USB modem), because I was using my own modem and Linux. I'm guessing if you order a modem from them they'll have a go at configuring your PC to use it too.

Advertisement