Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extra Digibox in Ireland....

• 10-03-2003 1:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

I know people have asked about this already but has anyone got any news on it, like when is it going to be released here.

I have Sky in my house at the moment and I want it in my room and since i cant have 2 digiboxes at the moment. I was thinking about getting NTL Digital in my room is Ntl Digital any good or would I be better of waiting for sky to release the second digibox offer here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can have ANY number of Digiboxes, either additional ones have only free channels or you pay a second full price sub for whatever package you want.
    No free 2nd box though, ever. The reduced price 2nd box in UK is still more expensive than S/H and about the same as a Cheap FTA receiver.

The reduced price second mirror sub I heard is due April / May

I have a 2nd Digibox with no sub.
    Also my PC satellite card gets all the Free channels on Sky inc almost all BBC radio and near 60 Radio total.

Unlike Chorus/NTL, you own the box and are allowed to pickup any unencryped channels free.

You can't "split" the cable from the dish though, the LNB (the bobble with wire on dish arm) needs to be a dual or quad output version and each Digibox have its own cable. (So really on one dish, four digiboxes is the practical max qty).

You can buy 2nd hand Digiboxes (mine was 60 Euro) or a European FTA receiver or PC Card new for less than a new Digibox. A PC or FTA or European receiver will only pickup the 75 or so TV and 60 odd Radio that work on Sky without a card. (No BBC1 etc).

If you have a UK address you can get a free FTV card for a Digibox and this adds:
    BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBC New24, All the ITVs, 3 other BBC2, C4 and "five". (CBBC and Cbeebies are BBC3/4).

Of course one Digibox can feed ANY number of TVs, as long as all the TVs want the same channel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

watty - can you let me know where to go about getting a PC card and a s/h digibox? I got Sky installed at the weekend and would seriously like to have a second installation to watch stuff independently of the first tv. Many thanks :) - D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mojolaw

Will Sky allow you to use a secondhand digibox when they bring out the mirror sub here? I have a dealer friend who got the impression from the recent Sky seminar at the Red Cow,that if you want the mirror sub you will have to buy the second box directly from Sky and pay for installation.....surely this is unjust...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by mojolaw
    Will Sky allow you to use a secondhand digibox when they bring out the mirror sub here? I have a dealer friend who got the impression from the recent Sky seminar at the Red Cow,that if you want the mirror sub you will have to buy the second box directly from Sky and pay for installation.....surely this is unjust...

why unjust its a commercial operation? I would imagine however that Sky would be happy to get a second sub so I think its a good possibility that second subs will be allowed with second hand boxes, they will however insist on installer installation to ensure the phone connection is on the same line as the existing box.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd agree with Tony.

With a Mirror Sub you must have working Phone connection on both boxes. Some kind of minimum installer visit will be involved.

Sky won't care how you got your boxes, though, as long as they arn't stolen or a Frudulent Free box (Flat 12B a ....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

So the second digibox offer should be out here at the end of April start of May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by Davexirl
    So the second digibox offer should be out here at the end of April start of May?

I wonder will coincide with the arrival of Sky+ - wishful thinking maybe. By the way Sky has said on their ' Backchat' that Cheaper rates for a 2nd box will be in the ROI in the 'near future'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    I wonder will coincide with the arrival of Sky+ - wishful thinking maybe. By the way Sky has said on their ' Backchat' that Cheaper rates for a 2nd box will be in the ROI in the 'near future'

Thats the plan to launch both at the same time, not wishful thinking at all.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement