Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm know who you are?????

Options
  • 10-03-2003 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Right. I recently texted a request into a 2fm show and didn't put my name on it.

Anyway the request was read out along with my full name and also the full name of somebody I used to share a flat with who had no connection with the phone in anyway (that I know of).

Does anybody know how the hell they could figure out what my name was from the text and more importantly how the **** could they get the name of the second person?? I realise that my name is on a Vodafone database somewhere but how would they have the name of someone not connected with the phone number???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'd ask 2fm directly if I were you, mention the data protection act, would be interested in hearing the outcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I've just sent off an e-mail to the DJ in question and am going to also the general 2fm e-mail address.

I really want to see what they have to say.

In the meantime though - does anybody know how they know who I am?

Well Jay Ahern just let me know that my name and the other name just came up on their text line when I sent in the request. He's not sure how it happened - must be some Vodafone database thingie somewhere.

Now - I have to get after them.

I cannot figure out how the hell anyone else's name except mine could be associated with my phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

are you sure your friend didn't request a song using your phone at some point saying this is for sham a h-aon & sham a dó

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

More than likely that it's nothing got to do with Vodafone. Did you ever enter a competition with 2FM before with your name/address/phone no. on it? Have you ever txt'd a request before with your name on it?

• Advertisement

It wasn't a hoax - I sent in the request from my phone and I have never texted 2fm before so they wouldn't have my name on database.

What the real thing I'm pissed off about is that fact that someone else could get their name associated with my phone without me knowing it.

According to Jay Ahern when the request came in on their text machine it came in twice once with my name, once with the other name. He said he's never seen it happen before but that they don't keep databases in 2fm so it must be a vodafone thing.

Would it have been possible for someone else to register my phone online without me knowing and so become associated with my phone number in Vodafone databases.

I've e-mailed Vodafone about it but have yet to receive anything save an automated reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Fascinating, let us know how you get on Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

lol,

was listening last night when that happened.

Vodafone are a bunch of scumbags with no respect for peoples privacy.

Originally posted by Panda
    lol,

was listening last night when that happened.

Yeah. Unfortunately so was my girlfriend and the second name they read out was not one that it does me good to be associated with.

****ing Vodafone bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

When I was in 2fm for work experience a while back there were no names appearing on the text screen, just numbers! Are you sure you haven't called before, because I know they can nickname a few numbers, but it's a very informal kinda thing! Not as if it was a professional database, but this is going back a year now!

• Advertisement

No - I hadn't texted before - and anyway that wouldn't explain the other name appearing on their screen too.

Jay Ahern sent me a mail with exactly what came up on their screen to try and help me figure it out.

I'm almost sure it's a Vodafone thing rather than a 2fm thing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

ye lol, i was listening when jay ahern said that on the air.
    Your best bet would be to go to vodafone and complain like a bitch. Tell them to take you off everything cept the number (alerts, everything uv signed up for etc)
    Its pure madness tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

when i registoried my phone a while ago the vodafone staff said it was already registeried so i had to read them the serial number on the sim card and they fixed it. some ppl are idiots they dont know their own numbers. Someone email the ppl i charge of the data pertection act and get it sorted out.

Well now - in case anyone is interested here's an update. Last Thursday some poor sod from Vodafone rang me to talk to me about some offer or other.

I told her straight out that I wasn't interested in any offers but that I did have something I was interested in talking about.

I told her what had happened and ranted on about violation of my privacy etc. to her for a while - she didn't have a clue really - she hadn't heard of a text machine and claimed that there was no way my name could come up on one let alone somebody else's. I told her that there must be some way as it had happened and I was extremely pissed off about it and wanted answers now.

Well - she rang me back about ten minutes later saying she had referred the matter to her supervisor and asked me what time I'd sent the text and to what show etc. Sounded like she was going to try and lump the blame on 2fm and I'm almost positive it's a Vodafone issue in reality.

Well I haven't heard from them again yet but if I don't get a call within the next week I'll be back on bitching and moaning some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski
    Yeah. Unfortunately so was my girlfriend and the second name they read out was not one that it does me good to be associated with.

****ing Vodafone bastards.

That's legend. That could be an ad. :)

Advertisement