Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone to Laptop Infrared connection

• 10-03-2003 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

It sounds like a great piece of work. Just wanted some more info on this. I have the infrared facility on my phone and im in the process of getting a laptop.

So do any of ye know how it works?
    Will internet connection be more expensive than teh usual rates with this method?
    What sorta connection speeds are we talking about?
    Or whats the story in general?

Im in an inquisitive mood today;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

what type of fone do you have??

what network are you on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I have a Nokia 8310 and Im on Vodafone network

you should download vodafone connect me here it will let you establish a data connection from you laptop through HSCSD or GPRS , its fairly straight forward to setup and use, HSCSD is the cheaper option (if you add the dial up number as your friends for free number) and with GPRS you get charged for the amount of data you send

hope this sheds some light.

Thats great thanks robc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

robc, do you or anyone else actually have the HSCSD number as your friends for free number? I got a postcard from Voda last autumn advising me that as I used it the most I should use it for that purpose. When I tried to register it they told me it was all a big mistake and I coulldn't use it

• Advertisement

my vodafone if customer care wont do it for ya

Originally posted by sunbeam
    the HSCSD number as your friends for free number?

Sorry but what exactly does it mean? Me no understand. Sorry I havn't used this yet and I'm only finding otu more about it lately

Hmm, they refused point blank to do this for me before (even though I used to spend way above my monthly minutes on HSCSD). Every time I try to do it on 'My Vodafone' it just takes me back to the same page with boxes to be filled in-no acknowledgement or anything.

jonno, if you are a vodafone post pay customer you get a phone a friend for 'free' number. Basically you get a certain amount of off-peak free calls to an 087 number of your choice which matches the number of off-peak minutes included on whatever tariff you are on. For example on the Light tariff you get an inclusive allocation of 10 peak minutes, 50 off-peak minutes plus 50 off-peak 'phone a friend minutes' for your €20 per month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by sunbeam
    When I tried to register it they told me it was all a big mistake and I coulldn't use it

Same thing happened to me...I got the card with the number on it and then they told me it was a mistake...

Maybe robc got the number down before Vodafone realised that it wouldn't be such a good idea to allow us free minutes for internet.

Probably true. After all if customers could get 300 HSCSD minutes free on Vodafone's Active tariff every month, it probably wouldn't do much to encourage them to change to their overpriced GPRS. :(

• Advertisement

if i can recall i had registered the number just after vodafone has introduced friends for free, and they reccomended that i use it as the dialup number.

if they give you and sh1t just say that you are very unhappy with level of service that you are getting. also tell them the terms and conditions state that you can nominate ANY 087 number.

Ok, I tried again. The customer care person took the number and tried to enter it into the system, but it wouldn't accept it. Then she informed me that the data number has *never* been available as a FAFFF number (funnily enough she didn't notice it was the data number when I mentioned it). I argued that the website states that *any* number can be used. The response was that the service is for phoning a friend and the internet is not a friend. I have no life-it is to me :D.

At this stage I was getting pretty annoyed and brought up the several times where I had been told by customer care that HSCSD was NOT available to RTG customers when it clearly WAS. After a deadly silence I was told that well it is available *now* but it is a new service. (I was told it wasn't 30 seconds before I rang up tech support a few months ago and got it enabled in five seconds without a question. It is the difference between Voda getting about €10 from my RTG account per month and me not using it at all) I'd be quite interested to hear what customer care are telling other RTG customers who ask about this these days-but seeing as Voda don't bother to advertise the existence of this service to them I doubt if they get too many queries.

Ah well, I suppose they have yet another rant of mine on record now....

Found this info on the spec of a laptop Im looking at.

To put it bluntly what does it mean? Don't understand it at all so can one of you hardware knowledgable people please explain it. ;)

Thanx

Wireless Connectivity Solutions: Integrated Dual-Band (802.11a/b) antenna that supports wireless connections to both 802.11b (11Mbps), 802.11g (54Mps) and 802.11a (54 Mbps) Wi-Fi networks when combined with wireless card. Optional Internal Dell TrueMobileTM 1300 802.11b/g (54Mbps) wireless card and optional Dell TrueMobile 1184 Wireless Broadband Router allow for internet connectivity anywhere in your home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

What you have is a wireless network card running at 11mps
    and a small router which can connect to ADSL
    and you can use the laptop in any room in the house

I would not tell you neighbour,

Thanks, that'll do

Advertisement