Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiltting Sky Connection.......

• 10-03-2003 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

Afternoon,

I have a couple of questions about splitting the sky box connection.

Currently, I have one extension from the sky box going into a bedroom upstairs. I want to take another connection out of the sky box for another bedroom.

So is it a question of buying a standard 'Y-splitter' and plugging that into the back of the digital and bob will become my uncle?

Also, will my 'magic eye' still work?
    I might buy another eye at a later stage for the other bedroom.

Thanks,
    spanner_head

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Y splitters are very lossy, better to use F type splitter (same type as dish connection) if you want to use majic eye though you need to use a sky digital amp in palce of splitter and use good quality cable such as CT100.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Thanks for your help Tony.

I will need to use the 'magic eye. So where can I get my hands on the sky digi amp?

Thanks again,
    spanner_head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

My Sky box has 2 Tv outs ,I have it running to every room in the house (4 tvs)
    I use 2 x JVC gold plated Y splitters and 2 x 30m JVC gold coaxial cabling.
    3 Sky remotes working on the magic eye.

The kitchen Tv before the SKy goes into it ,it goes into a tuner card on wifes pc then back out to the kitchen TV.

No signal loss at all.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Originally posted by spanner_head

I will need to use the 'magic eye. So where can I get my hands on the sky digi amp?

D'oh

Just had a look at your site Tony. I see them there!

Thanks,
    spanner_head

Originally posted by spanner_head

Thanks again,
    spanner_head

emmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D pse email me :D dont want to fall foul of my favourite moderator :D
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A cheap Y-splitter uses resistors and gives 12 db loss, and probabily won't work "magic Eye"

A good Y-Splitter (F-Connector OR TV type) uses a little coil called a Hybrid. Some kinds are wired to allow the Magic Eye DC 9V signal, but may not allow the Magic eye RF control back up the cable. They can't be better than 6dB loss.

Cheap and "Good" is of course not directly related to Retail Price. Sometimes the "Cheap" ones are more expensive.

Always the kind with two sockets on front face with plug on rear face have proved to be cheap "resistor" kind.

All F-Connector ones I have dissasembled have been the "good" hybrid kind. Most of the Y -shaped TV connector models are also good "hybrid" kind, but usually missing the vital DC to earth blocking capacitor needed by Magic Eye.

The only nearly no loss "splitter" is the "distribution amplifier" which starts at about 15Euro and can be over 200 Euro for a top of the range F-connector professional one. Most "distribution amplfiers don't work with magic Eye as they neither pass the forward DC 9V power nor the reverse RF remote signal.
    "Global" do one and there is another make I forget too.

The other "Wireless" solution to Remote Sky AND video/Audio is a RF FM 2.4GHz "video sender". These have the advantage over RF of better quality video and true stereo sound. The receiover has a built in magic eye for ANY remote and the Video Transmitter receives the Wireless Remote signal and turns it back into IR for DVD, Digibox, HiFi or VHS, whatever. None are digital (not even the "Digisender", they use a kind of minature FM Analog Satellite technology).

Or you can get a Remote only Wireless Link, which will do Digibox AND other equipment in the same room.

Originally posted by KdjaC
    My Sky box has 2 Tv outs ,I have it running to every room in the house (4 tvs)
    I use 2 x JVC gold plated Y splitters and 2 x 30m JVC gold coaxial cabling.
    3 Sky remotes working on the magic eye.

The kitchen Tv before the SKy goes into it ,it goes into a tuner card on wifes pc then back out to the kitchen TV.

No signal loss at all.

kdjac

Good for you, the Y splitters I referred to are those cheap white plastic ones, yours are obviously much better quality. I suspect the majic eye you are using is the powermid RF type IE uses a radio link rather than the cable to pass the remote instructions?

Tony

Advertisement