Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I Wire an Irish Phone Socket?

Options
  • 10-03-2003 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Ok - I have a new phone line and i need to wire up a socket for it.

Q. The existing line has a copper pain coming into the house and terminated in a box.
    But from there on the rest of the house has 3 wires connected to each socket. Why? (something to do with a bell circut?, and do i need it for modern equipment?)

thanks

tribble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by tribble
    Ok - I have a new phone line
    But from there on the rest of the house has 3 wires connected to each socket. Why? (something to do with a bell circut?, and do i need it for modern equipment?)

how old is this house? sounds like 1970s wiring ....you need (any 2) for inside wiring but the cable guage may be a bit heavier than you need nowadays so it will not be as fast as it could be.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Thanks Muck,

I didn't mention it but all the cabling has been replaced.

Eircom have new 4 core (2lines) installed.
    And the house is wired with cat5.
    However this was done by 'me DA'(tm).
    Hell, he remembers the old 6 wire system but just copied the existing 3 wire when he replaced the cabling.

I want to do it properly (for my line).

Q. Will "(any 2) for inside wiring" as Muck said work?
    (acually i know it will but it is optimal?)

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the golden rule is to put them in series so.

your cable is all cat V (4 pair = 8 cores) or Telephone wire 2Pair = 4 Core)

In each of these is a BLUE pair (one is nearly all blue and its sister is nearly all white with flecks of blue) and an ORANGE pair (same)

Use the blue pair from master to socket one and the orange pair from socket one to socket 2 and the blue from socket 3 to socket 4 etc etc. The last socket will have inbound cable only.

These cables go into the back of the centre 2 pins in the telephone socket irrespective of whether the socket is 4 pin (rj11 ) or 6 pin (rj12) ....look at the master eircom socket for guidance.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Muck,
    Maybe you can help me out.

I tried wiring up a phone socket in the kitchen and had no luck. It's 3 pairs of colour coded wires. I did try wiring the orange wires to the face plate but no dialtone. I have tried looking at the master socket for reference but it's a beast of a thing. Presumably it's phone-watch enabled or something. I definitely cannot see what wires contact which pins.

I'm trying to wire the socket in the kitchen but we also have an unterminated socket in the bedroom. You say that they must be wired in series but how do I know which auxilliary socket is wired back to the master socket (without doing alot of screwing and cursing). Do I go master -> bedroom -> kitchen or master -> kitchen -> bedroom. Is it rule of thumb that the blue pair comes out of the master socket or could it vary?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hi all,

De wiring in my house is in some parts 25 years old. The line going into the house has orange, white, green, black and 3 reds (orange & white being used). At the tiny muddy grey box its connected to a blue-orange-green-brown single-core wire (of which blue and orange are used. An extension is wired from the phone socket using standard modern red-green-yellow-black wire. Each stretch of wire has only 2 wires used. It works fine, so why would 3 need 2 be used?? Does using cat5 have any advantages??

best regards:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ps - its semi-serial! There is one wire going to a socket in de hall and from there a wire goes 2 an extension in the kitchen in a serial arrangement. For internet access there is another extension from the hall that can be plugged in/out. I share the socket between a dect phone and the internet extension. If i want 2 use one, i plug out the other because AFAIK adaptors can cause interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Good god almighty, there is some fairly fucked up wiring around the place ....

Most houses use 4 core telephone cable, these 4 cores go from the centre two pins of the rj45 in the eircom socket where the phone line comes into the house to the centre two pins (the same wire to the same pin) of any phone socket in the house ... they should never be wired serially as this will cause problems (the phones need to get 56VDC (+ or - 5 volts) to ring, if they are wired serially then each phone get half the voltage etc, it will never ring though you may possibly talk to someone using it.
    Ideally you should run seperate cables from the eircom box to each telephone point, but this isnt an ideal world (ta da da tum da ta /me hums the christians tune) so parallel wiring is very common and works ok

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Tribble > Two wires should work fine. The three wires system is used in the UK and was used here when the good old rotary dial phones had real bells in them!

The line comes into your house on a pair of wires. The voltage on this is around 50V DC, but drops when the line is in use to around 10V DC. When the phone rings a 70V AC ringing voltage is fed down the line (be careful when working on the socket because if someone calls your house when you have a hold of the bare wire then you will get a shock - I know from experience :D )

With the old system the master socket (first on the line) filtered out the ringing signal and this was sent down the Third wire to the secondary sockets.

If you look at the plugs on most modern phones you will notice that they generally only have two pins/wires connected anyway.

However if you buy a UK phone they come with an adaptor which incorporates the filter capacitor and also has the necessary plug and socket arrangement.

Muck > I presume that by serially you mean "Daisy Chain wiring". I would disagree though, and reckon parallel wiring would be preferable ( cables all run back to one point "star wiring". It all depends on the cable lengths involved, and the number of handsets on the line.

Advertisement