Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE coming to Ireland

• 10-03-2003 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

The WWE is coming over to Belfast in May with it's Smackdown Superstars as part of a UK tour. There's no more information yet on the site, but this is pretty cool. Better than RAW coming over anyway..........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Why they havent been south of the border for nigh on 9 years, whatd we ever do to them to ignore us like this

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

yeah some recognition would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Because the odyssey arena is the only arena in ireland big enough to hold the crowd they can pull in, there's no point in the wwe doing a show in the point or the rds where they'll only be able to fit 5-6 thousand when they can get 16,000 people or so into the odyssey. And they can't do an outdoor show because the weather here is too unreliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

They were here in october too.. In belfast no doubt
    It's a pity they don't come to dublin .. still i'll probably head up to this 1 =d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Come in the summer and do a stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Not to butter my words but the odyssey is fookin tiny. The point is much bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Originally posted by Neil3030
    Come in the summer and do a stadium.

And risk the chance of rain? they dont even do that in the states for their ppvs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ok lets see

they do a show in the uk and Belfast, lets say they sell 16000 seats each show at say 40 pound sterling, thats 32000 tickets and a lot of moolah, and if they put on a show here that would be a further 8000 max tickets, so all in all theyd selll well in excess of 40000 tickets for a 2 day 3 show tour. doesnt seem like money is the motivating factor here folks they just cant be bothered their arses

AS far as wwe is concerned europe consists of the uk and germany thats it

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by Glowingmind
    Because the odyssey arena is the only arena in ireland big enough to hold the crowd they can pull in, there's no point in the wwe doing a show in the point or the rds where they'll only be able to fit 5-6 thousand when they can get 16,000 people or so into the odyssey. And they can't do an outdoor show because the weather here is too unreliable

The Odyssey doesn't hold anywhere near 16,000.
    It holds 10,000. The Point holds 7,000.
    Your figures are slightly off.

They don't come to Dublin because the ignorant gobsh*tes actually think that they ARE coming to Ireland when they do a show in Belfast. It's nothing to do with arena sizes.

Odyssey Arena:
    Centre stage seated: 10,000
    taken from : http://www.odysseyarena.com/technicalinformation.asp

So my figures were slightly off on that.

But the point theare only holds 7500 people at a concert because that's what it's primarily designed for, the seating plan is completely different for a centre stage seated show which is what the wwe do, and it cuts that capacity in half.

The wwe is currently in a position where it needs to maximize profits and there's no way it would bother doing a show in the Point when it can do a sell out show in a purpose built 10-15,000 capacity arena in the UK.
    This year they're doing shows in: Japan, Australia, Finland, Germany, Italy, Korea, Mexico, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and the United Kingdom.

An outdoor event is very unlikely to happen, again because irish weather is so unreliable, whether it's the summer or not, and because of the logistics in trying to run an outdoor wrestling event.

The last time they came to dublin was before the odyssey arena was built and there's very little chance of them doing a dublin show for the simple reason that they can make a lot more money across the water or up in Belfast

For the last uk visit they did the show in belfast, rebellion in machester and the follow up in sheffield(i think). All of the venues are considerably bigger than anything in the republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

it really sucks that we have to travel all the way up to belfast to see the event!! fair enough i understand why but it goes to show that the south of ireland has rubbish concert facilities!!

An out-door event would be very cool - it worked quite well in Wembly Stadium for sumerslam in 92-93(great show - was there!! crowd was class!! LoD Rules!!)

Imagine an event like that in Croke Park!! Sweet!!!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah I'm kinda pissed off that they wont come to Dublin too. I was at the last House Show they had in Ireland with Bret Hart, Undertaker, Jeff Jarrett etc. It ruled. The Point is big enough to hold the crowd. Better than travelling up to Belfast anyway.

i was at that show too it was fantastic, and while there was a decent crowd there(i think it was sold out) it was only half what they could get up in belfast and sadly due to the wwe's ratings drops recently they're gonna do everything they can to maximise profits.

Advertisement