Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pmt

• 10-03-2003 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

not really sure if this is the right place to post this but im sure it'll be moved if i'm wrong!

n e way i was just wondering if there's n e females out there with a similar prob to this....a few days b4, during and after "that time of the month" my pmt can be so bad that i actually feel suicidal. all my problems seem to merge into 1, i get panic attacks over the stupidest things and i really feel like i'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

just wondering if there's n e 1 the same and is there n e thing u can take to help???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You should really go to a doctor. He/She might be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

seems serious... seek profec help or ehh...talk to smiles :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes pmt can do that and a lot more :)

Do go to your Gp if you have one but be warned if ur gp is male he may not get it . Hopfully he/she will. There are a lot of different things that can be done to help there is a lot of research going on at the moment into food that have naturally occuring hormones in them and that if you going that out of whack with pmt eating the right food can help.

the first thing that the doc may do is try put you on the pill.
    There are a lot of stuff if can be very good for that is not just related to not getting pregnat.

Or if you are on the Pill then it could be that you are having a bad reaction to it , it could be aggravting your PMT.
    There are a lot of differnt types of pill and you should try a few to find the right one not just take and stick with what oever ur doc gives you if you are having side effects.

If you feel that ur doc is not doing enough you can ask for a referal to a GYN . or make the appoinment your self. If you are in dublin the Rountda has a GYN unit there. They do a lot more then just babies :)

Now if you try all this and they say sorry dear it is all in your , it could be. Not that ur cracking up it could be your under a lot of stress that you may or may not see , and the onset of PMT lowers you coping threshold so maybe you could get help with that most gps will have someone they they can refer you too to have a chat and see where the stress is coming from.

Yes it is real and you yourself know if the effects are more then average. One way fo logging this is to keep a diary account of how you are feeling and sympthoms over a few cycles. It is hard to remember but if you start now it will speed things up as it is one of the things the docs both ur gp and a GYN if you go that route will look for.

Personally every 3 cycle for me is duck and cover for those that live with me. I go from ultra demanding scathing bitchy to sitting cryin in the middle of the kitchen for nearly an hour once cos i dropped and broke a plate :)

best of luck to you and dont forget the wonders of long hot baths and chocolate .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey thanks for the replies! i'm not actually on the pill, i've been thinking about it though. thing is when i'm on my period i be in absolute agony, to the stage where i've actually passed out with the pain. cant lie cant sit cant stand just basically lie over the toilet trying to be sick. i've been prescribed several different types of medication but nothing really seems to work. maybe the pill is the next step i dunno? thing is though i'm 20 so it's not just a matter of my body having to "settle down"!

s'pose my next stop is the doctor and see wot can be done!
    thanks

o and Thaed...the long hot baths actually have a tendency to make me feel worse! something bout the heat...i'm thinking im not really normal after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I can't comment on PMT, but nobody should have to got through that kind of dysmenorrhea (period pain) every month, especially if they are also throwing up. The pill can definitely eliminate that, though its important to have a detailed chat with your GP just to make sure there isn't some other underlying cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It could be a bad hormonal imbalance, I had this until I started taking the pill, wouldn't really feel that down but I thought I was dying, I fainted a lot, vomited and vomited and generally felt absolutely awful, even collapsed in the bathroom in college 3 years ago and had to get the doctor to come to my college to give me a jab to stop me puking. It happened me in December as well after I came off the pill, although not to such a great extent.

You really should go see a doctor imo!

Yeah that was the problem with me too. I take the pill to control it.

ya know i've spoken to friends about this b4 but no1 could really comment on it bcoz they dont really suffer....i was actually beginning to think i wasnt normal!

Yes, unfortunately it can be very difficult for anyone who doesn't go through severe dysmenorrhea to understand how bad it can really be-hence the proliferation of 'useful' advice about 'gentle stretching', hotwater bottles and panadols...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by sunbeam
    Yeah that was the problem with me too. I take the pill to control it.

What's the name of the meds you're on as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement

Dianette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Ok, Im not female, so i dont understand the full effects of this, but, Having grown up with too sisters, and having had them torture me when it was their time of the month, i'd like to think that I may understand how bad it may be.

If worse comes to worse, and u find that herbal tea's and pills dont work, maybe (im not sure if it works though) try some MARIE JANE (Doobie). Its not a sin, and is effective as a pain reliever, however, like the majourity of drugs, and alcohol, its a high for a certain period, and does cause depression in time. I've also experience ppl suffering from paranoia from it.

Its just an idea, but im not an expert on the subject.

Hope u get it sorted. and never resort to suicide! especially for something thats not an everyday thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Ok, I'd suggest going to your doctor again but here's some things that help me:

Swimming the week before hand / plenty of exercise a couple of days before, this loosens muscles up and helps to relax you and make it less painful.

Taking evening primrose oil tablets, (health shops + pharamcies) - they help regulate hormone and stuff or something, taken them daily all the time and they do help.

Best of luck,

Fionnuala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah, i find i feel better during my period if i don't eat chocolate before and during it. and like smiles said, loads of excercise. my pmt problem is that i get cramps up to about a week before my period starts, but they're not unbearable. i too feel very hot, but maybe if you used a hot water bottle on your tummy as opposed to taking a hot bath, it will help, and not make you too hot? i always find the cramps lessen if i'm using a hot water bottle, or leaning against a radiator or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Bah, just get yourself a man to take your PMS out on.

Cheaper then the pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Have exactly the same problem. The pain gets so bad that I have fainted from it and can't walk, etc.. I found that the pill really helps and as other people have said, gentle exercise the week before hand really helps too.
    Some people just don't realise the pain us girls go through!!

ko, here's wot i've tried!:

ponston
    aulin (anti-inflammatory)
    vitamin b
    evening primrose oil
    other herbal stuff

the hot water bottle - tried it but does the same as the hot bath! i dunno it just seems to make the pain worse! have a man, yes i do take the pmt out on him! no he isnt impressed!!

another thing i suffer from is servere tiredness! can go to bed at about 8pm and be up at 7.30 for work and i'm still wrecked! some have told me this could be caused by oversleeping but i cant help it! i just fall asleep! then after it's all over i'm full of energy again! all a bit mad really!!

anyway trying to get an appointment with a female doctor at the min so hopefully i'll get myself sorted soon!

thanks for all the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

do you by any chance suffer from anaemia (iron deficiency)?
    this can apparently make cramps worse and also make you reall tired and listless.
    try taking some iron tablets. (also B vitamins, and vitamin C help iron absorption).

i also find drinking tea and especially coffee makes cramps worse.

just a thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Def go on pill,my girlfriend had that irregular strong period thing
    an its not nice.

Doobie works for every pain there is an is dam gud fun at the
    same time,pity its locked into the "all drugs are bad" thing
    cuz its a fantastic pain killer. Everythin from emotional stress
    to pulled mustle to pmt 8)

Sympathy agus peace (agus na tirheh teo inne agus amarach)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sugarpea

Confused, hopefully I can help you out here, I like you suffered terribly, I also had panic attacks etc. It turned out that I was amaemic, I started taking evening primrose oil capsules (altough they take a few months to help) I also took a tablet called Voltarol (which you take 2 - 3 days before your period and Iboburofen (reduces inflammation and bleeding), I also started to eat properly i.e. my potatoes, veg and red meat every day and I have really improved. If you need anymore advice pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AngelAine

I'm glad to hear someone else suffers from this ****, pardon my language! I find Feminax are good but recently things got worse...heavier periods, worse pains, dizziness, irritability (even worse than before!), depression (thinking the whole world is against me). I'm only 20 and I'm kinda wondering why all of a sudden it has got worse?

Well the age at which a female of our speices reaches full maturity
    is 23. So it is all up in the air until then . Which means that anyone having a child younger then that is butting thier body under a lot of strain.

Originally posted by confused

aulin (anti-inflammatory)

Those things used to save my life when the pain got too bad ;) I recommend them to everyone, my doc. even told me that they can really help clear up hangovers ;)

The pill can help some people, but then again it doesnt suit some people, withdrawl bleeds, etc. can be hell, or so I've heard.

Get an iron test done, I'm slightly anaemic and various people at college point out how deathly pale I turn... I end up feeling totally unable to move, and that combined with pain/cramps can make things kinda nasty. Iron tablets = your friend. But you shouldn't take them for prolonged periods (pun) of time because they can **** up your stomach, ask your local doctor/nurse/pharmasist for help.

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by smiles
    The pill can help some people, but then again it doesnt suit some people, withdrawl bleeds, etc. can be hell, or so I've heard

Of course the pill is not right for everyone, but in most cases withdrawal bleeds are much lighter and far less painful than a period. Then it can depend on how long you've been on the pill without a break (ie taking pills constantly without stopping so you don't have a withdrawal bleed). I remember reading that technically there's no need to have a withdrawal bleed at all, but most women do so for psychological reasons-to make sure 'everything is working ok' as such. Of course coming off for a week also gives your body a break from the hormones as well-which can be a good thing....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wee_lady

is it true that the pill is now available over the counter? i hear it is in the north but i'm not too sure about the south!

No idea-the one I take is specifically for women with hormone imbalances and is prescription only anyway. Even if it was it is a good idea to get your first prescription from a doctor-some pills can contain hormone cocktails which make certain conditions worse....

certain types pf the pill and in come cases the morning after pill are advailible but only in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

i used to get really bad cramps but since being on a pill called Femodene i have no pain whatsoever and my periods are much shorter, about 4 days, (compared to 7). unfortunately the withdrawal bleeds go on forEVER which is crap. at the moment im getting really confused because apparently the withdrawal bleeds arn't the actual period... confusion!! :confused:

mia x

• Advertisement

The 'period' you get after coming off the pill for one week each month is a withdrawal bleed-you are not actually menstruating. Are you talking about 'spotting'-bleeding while *taking* the pills?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Orlie

Hiya... I know how ya feel gal! Just before my T.O.M. I used to be SO depressed. I used to get REALLY sick, fail exams, fight with friends etc... NOT TO MENTION THE BLOODY CRAMPS!

But, i went on the pill, and it really helped. I NEVER even get a cramp anymore! A few friends of mine were prescribed the pill for this problem. Plus it also regulates your cycle, and thas always a good thing!

Look into it girl! It mightn't be the solution for you but at least its worth a try.

Another thing that worked for a while was alternative medicine. If you don't like the idea of the pill, then get to your nearest alternative GP and sort yourself out! It can get expensive though! And ya also have to go on a nasty diet!

Good Luck, whatever you try!

:)

I'm almost certain you can't get the pill over the counter, you need to see a doctor who'll check out all the catagories and see which type of pill would be best for you, and if you are at risk from any adverse side-effects.

<< Fio >>

well i finally went to the doc and she reackons i mite have a bit of a hormone imbalance so she put me on a hormone tablet called Primolut, and said to try them for 3 months to see if they will work. she said though they mite not really help the pain but that was the whole point of going to her in the 1st place! however i agreed to try them for the 3 months. just wondered has n e 1 else ever tried them and do they work??

Did she actually do a blood test? If you do have a hormone imbalance it is important to be sure of what kind of imbalance it is.

no, she said that cases like this can SOMETIMES be caused my progeserton being too low so these tablets should regulate that. i didnt like the way she said they mite not help the pain though. that was the whole point of going to her in the 1st place! she said though that they should stop me being so depressed. she also said that i should continue taking the aulin along with them but i had already told her that they dont really have n e effect on me, so she told me to try the soluble form. so i gave in! tbh i thought she'd put me on the pill and at this stage i'm prepared to do that. but if these work then happy dayz!!

i had to get a blood test taken for a different complaint n e way but she sent me to the nurse for that. and if i hadnt mentioned it to her she wouldnt have to me! is it just me or is she being a bit negligent....?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement