Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question re your comp soc

• 10-03-2003 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

So i see from another thread you have an up and running comp soc, how did you go about it, is it sanctioned by the college and if so how do you get away with playing games!???

just wondering cause was hoping to start one up in TI

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Compsoc is a college society. We are not directly supposed to be using the college hardware for games, but either they don't know or don't care. The SU bought us a PS2 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well when i was there we sent a letter to the head of the it dep saying exactly what we wanted to be able to do in the rooms . and he replied no to almost all my requests .

but he did say that we were allowed to do whatever we liked in that room only when the times he appointed .

it did mean that that ppl were allowed to play games chat and doss whenever they wanted .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Which is exactly what we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

do u have a mission statement?

what exactly do u say u do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

well they seem to let us away with enough.. we make quite a bit of noise in there sometimes.. and we put loads of crap onto the d:\ drives, but they dont seem to mind. we cant mess around with functioning of the pcs as they are all win2k sp3, with no registry access and no c:\ write access. so whatever we can get away with is enough in their opinion. They gave us a seperate account for usage on mondays and wednesdays from 5pm till 10pm. this account has a g:\ drive ( not sure how much space ) and an s:\ drive ( 10gig!) so i think that between the noise ( roaring, shouting, screaming, music, films, yada yada yada) and all the rest they are pretty sound about it all. remember it is a library and the pcs are for educational use ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I wasnt there for the original forming of compsoc (a fact sicnarf never lets me forget) however at the moment we dont have a "mission statement" we simply exist to play games, read up on linux/other networking issues, download family guy/southpark - whatever keeps us entertained at the time.

Its a computer society which entails all things computers, not just games - despite the popular opinion.

Ivan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

we read up on linux and networking? holy **** i think i missed that meeting... we played five hours of quake3 and return to castle wolfenstein yesterdfay. the quake was fun, a six palyer map? yeah i think six player with 16-20 players on it with weaponrespawn time set to 0 ( insanity/mayhem for a while). It was a lotta fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I wasnt at compsoc. But the meeting I'm talking about was when I got my shell account and wanted to download Family guy/Southpark, re: Point 3, and you guys gave me points. Which counts as linux tutorials. And also I had intended on showing a talk which was given at Dit and was streamed by redbrick.

Advertisement