Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend a good pair of headphones

Options
  • 10-03-2003 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I've got between €20 and €30 to spend on a pair of headphones.
    I'll be using it for music (plenty of metal, but some ska, rock, classical, dance and indy stuff), games and movies.
    An in-line or ear-piece mounted volume control would be nice, but not essential.
    One-sided cord is again nice but not essential.

Reccomend away.

Closed back might be on teh cards too, and I'd go up to €40 for something special.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Something by Sennheiser is probably your best bet.
    I think Richer Sounds do a fair selection.
    www.richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

€50 is probably pushing it but I bought a pair of Sennheiser headphones in X-Music (beside RicherSounds on the quays because Richer didnt have them and told me to go next door). I think they were the PRO 210 model but not sure. Silver pair.

Excellent excellent quality and sound and at 50eur its amazing value. I'd highly recommend them both for music and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Oh yeah...one thing... I'm in Galway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

20-30? they're all honestly going to sound retty much the same at that price range.

Avoid the Sennheiser HD4?? range. They're not the best at all, either comfort or sound-wise.
    I'd be more inclined (at that price range) to go for the Sony CD380s or something, should be available from Sony shops for about the e45 mark, if not try Richersounds to see if they have anything in the HD2* range.

Oh and headphone volume-controls and sound quality don't ever mix.

Ken.. wearing Sennheiser HD580s, soon to be driven by a Corda HA-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

These Look pretty nice. Most reviews I've read on the internet have gone on about how class they are. At $90 they are a big investment but I'll but using them in work to drone out the background noise and at home for gaming/movies so I might splash out. Its either a set of headphones I can use in my cube and at home or an mp3 player I can use in the T and gym. Maybe I'll just not go on the piss one weekend and get both anyway if you're looking purely for sound quality I think you'll have to spend 60-80 euro before you really get any huge improvement over just a pair of bog standard 10 euro ear pods. The Grado SR60 costs around $70 and is the next step down from the one linked above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The Grado SR range are open headphones... they won't sit well with work colleagues if you enjoy your music at a reasonable level, but they'll run happily enough off a PC (as opposed to my 580s), will really come to life with a proper Grado amp tho.
    For that price range (sub 100) I'd go with a pair of Sony 7506s... closed phones and a very flat and accurate response. The monitoring headphone of choice for many professional recording studios, they won't add anything to poor recordings though they'll run off any source and sound good.
    Beware of delivery prices from US-based sites Thorbar, I was quoted $75 delivery for the 7506s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I bought a pair of DT 231's closed set from Beyer Dynamic, they cost 35 E's. They are light,comfortable,robust and they work great with the TV and MP3 player. Type in Beyer Dyanamic DT 231 on Google and have a look.

Advertisement