Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being John Malcovich

• 10-03-2003 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭

I hadn't seen this when it came out. I remembered it getting rave reviews so I sat down and watched it on TV last night.

It was really.. odd. Very funny in places but definately something I'd need to watch a few times to understand all the irony. Did anybody else enjoy it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Very much so. i was very glad to have finally seen it. It was so bonkers in the beginning. Great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Saw it in the cinema and a couple of times since then.

It's really a brilliantly inventive film. I loved it.

I've been looking forward to seeing Adaptation (Kaufman and Jonze collaboration again) for a while but it hasn't come to Galway yet. Grrrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

missed it on tv :( but i saw it ages ago ! thought it was great !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

saw it in the cinema too and was delighted after it because i thought it was class, and it was the last in a number of good few films i had seen with in a few months. Brillant film. Didn't have a clue what it was about going in so enjoyed it all the more, love when that happens, same with dog soliders, thought that was about a war, ahh i babbel on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FizzyPants

good film, I enjoyed it in the cinema. John Cusak is great.

I have to say since Malkovich told the Cambridge Union that he would like to shoot Robert Fisk I have stopped watching his films.

http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=294787

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I loved the film and i had to watch it on video cause when i rang UCi in blanch they said they wouldent be getting it as it was not main stream enough for there puney 9 screens and that if i wanted to see it i would have go to tallaght! Ah well still enjoyed the video! Intresting flick!

AND Carmen Diaz still looked well, no matter what they do to her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Great film. Adaptation aswell. Both very odd, but strangely appealing and interesting. Very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

A very strange, yet highly enjoyable film! Would defo recommend it to anyone who hasnt seen it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Catherine Keener (Maxine) gives me the horn.
    Uh..

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Wonderfully strange. It took me a half hour to realise Carmen Diaz was in it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

The best film I ever did saw. Spike Jonze RULES!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

great film, loved every bit of it :-)

strangly tho i was watching it with like 6 other people and when it got to the end i had to explain it all to them hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i loved it, but it was definately better second time around, it's more funny then, as the first time you'rw just like 'this is weird'.
    yeah i didnt realise it was cameron diaz till after the film.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by thedrowner
    i loved it, but it was definately better second time around, it's more funny then, as the first time you'rw just like 'this is weird'.

Hmm, well i've it on DVD and did think it was waaay wierd! I'll give it a second chance to see if I find it better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Great film, so beautifully original.

Guy in passing car: Hey Malkovich, think fast!

Guy throws can and hits the back of Malkovich's head.

Malkovich: FU<K!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I enjoyed it on Sunday even more than the first time because I noticed so many more details this time. I was also watching it with people who'd never seen it before which was fun, especially the Aphex Twin video like moment when Malkovich enters his own mind, that had everyone in stiches! I could propbably sit through it a few more times before it stops being hilariously weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Great movie. I love the opening scenes with the puppets

(& the metaphor blah blah)

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Catherine Keener (Maxine) gives me the horn.
    Uh..
    <cough>, nice looking girl all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by irishbyte
    Hmm, well i've it on DVD and did think it was waaay wierd! I'll give it a second chance to see if I find it better. :)

DVD extras are postively brilliant.. history of the 7 1/2 floor and the interview with spike jonze are excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, I rented it around the time programs were pimping Jonze Adaptations. Saw it in the cinema first I think.

Great flick, makes you think a lot. Indirectly asks a lot of questions about the soul and stuff. And I wonder if Malkevich can actually watch it. I know I'd freak out if I was he, watching me.

The office stuff reminded me a bit of Brazil. Jonze and Terry Gilliam should work together, while on LSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

yeah, top film, nice to get one once in a while in this sea of junk:mad:

I hated John Malkovich before-I still do:confused: but that film is great. Normally the guy just comes accross as a concited bastardo but I liked his bewilderd acting in this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

It was a strange movie...but I just didn't really enjoy, the enjoyment factor wasn't there for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I thought it was pretty poor to be honest. Was very dissapointed with it considering it had John Cusack, Spike Jonze and a plethora of rave reviews to its name. A definite case of 'the emporers new clothes' if you ask me.

Advertisement