Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking Sony Vaio Radeon

Options
  • 10-03-2003 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

OK...Hoping for some help, I know I should not be trying to OC a laptop especially when there is no way of monitoring the temp of the Graphics card but curiosity got to me :) ok here goes, first the full spec in case it makes a difference

Sony Vaio GRX616MP
    Mobility P4 2.0Ghz
    FSB @ 400Mhz
    512 Mb DDR 2100 RAM at 266Mhz CL2.5
    Mobility Radeon 7500 32Mb with Plutonium XP 8.1 Driver
    YAMAHA AC-XG Audio
    40 Gb 4200rpm HD :(
    16.1" UXGA 1600X1200 Native
    CD/DVD-RW
    Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data,Fax ICH Modem
    Intel(R) PRO/100 VE NIC
    WiFi+Fingerprint authentication PCMCIA
    3 USB
    XP Pro

Memory Clock 165.38 MHz
    Engine Clock 261 MHz
    3DMark Score was 5068

after clocking to
    Memory Clock 200 MHz
    Engine Clock 300 MHz
    3DMark Score was 5687

Clocked using Plutonium XP 8.1 with no artifacts, question is should I go higher? Remeber, I have no way of telling the temp on the Grahics chip.

Any suggestion? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

You could try for higher but just let it run a few hours of 3DMark to make sure it doesn't overheat. I doubt you will fry it as it will start to artifact before it die's.So i wouldn't worry about temps just once its stable to run for a couple of hours. The only thing you might do with having it run at too high of temperatures is shortening the lifespan by a while

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

OK raised it to
    mem 210
    engine 310

and while running 3Dmark, there were these black/grey pixels appearing, I guess those are artifacts? Does that mean the setting is too high? what causes these artifacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Typically overheating or lack of voltage cause visual errors. If it totally overheats it would simply lock up.

200 and 300 are pretty good speeds to stick to I imagine.

Bear in mind that overclockers on Desktops rarely can tell what temps their GFX cards are at either!

Matt

Advertisement