Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed in Galway - Will pay

Options
  • 11-03-2003 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Folks,

We have just had an EsatBT DSL line installed in our cybercafe. I say installed esat just installed the line and left the modem, the rest we have to do ourselves.

Is there anyone from Galway who could come in and configure the DSL line for us (on the server) and then share the line out across 11 machines. We also have another server that provides network for the reception pc's so we want to loop the connection over to the second server and share the connection out to the office PC's. Here is our spec:

Cybercafe server - NT server 4 service pack 6
    Cybercafe - 11 machines running Win ME

Reception server - NT server 4 running service pack 6
    Reception - 5 machines running Win 98.

We currently have an Eircon ISDN line for the cybercafe. We want to hold onto this line incase the DSL line goes down. We will of-course pay a fee for above work :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

where abouts in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

slightly off the subject.............. why ME?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by daveg
    Folks,

Cybercafe server - NT server 4 service pack 6
    Cybercafe - 11 machines running Win ME

Reception server - NT server 4 running service pack 6
    Reception - 5 machines running Win 98.

Yuk

Me and 98

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Dave, I could have a go, but I'm not free till saturday at least (which is also my birthday).
    Although ME is a lemon of an OS, it can be networked.
    If not successful, I won't ask for any payment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

for a mere 200 yoyo's i shall come down and grace ya with my presence ... r better yet take syx's offer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Handy OS to have (if working) for browsing and games.
    Easy to fix ,nearly hassle free (if working) not bad for a Net Cafe.

Tho Dave you should easily be able to set up what you need yourselve.
    Its quite easy ,connect the host server to the internet with the new DSL line then enable a proxy on it so the other machines can use it as a internet gateway.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Thanks for the replies folks.

Firstly ME & 98 as well as whole setup has nothing to do with me. This was setup before I came in and I said same as you.

Network is already there - We currently have an Eircon ISDN line in so I just need to take this out (with a crowbar ;) ) and conifgure the DSL line.

Irishgeo - sleepzone

SyxPak - it may kill 2 birds with one stone following on from our last conversation - but I'd hate to have you workin on your birthday. Let me know if your free.

KdjaC - r you in Galway - could you help ?

sleepzone i have been there. damn if i said i know dave(if thats your real name) i could have free net access. Do you get many LAN games going as i am bored some nights after work.

Whats the best night to go down to play LAN games.

I am not very good but would like to learn.

Sorry not much good at DSL installation but if your looking for somebody in Jan next year i shall be free and have a information technology support certificate by them.

Currently on work experience in GMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What exchange is that cafe on? Also how much is it for an hour say? I wouldn't mind dropping in once the line is up :)

What exchange is that cafe on? Also how much is it for an hour say? I wouldn't mind dropping in once the line is up

Not sure what exchange were on. Were in Woodkey. Leave it for a few weeks as were only in the process of taking over the cybercafe (manager is paying for DSL setup - then well take over ;) ). It's €4 an hour which I am told is the cheapest in Galway - Please correct me if I'm wrong as I want us to be the cheapest in Galway.

Any board members want to drop in when we take over are very welcome - and I'll try to organise a discount and coffee for yee....

Cant say fairer than that can I :)

• Advertisement

great job man. i'll be in some evening whne you get setup. how about you try a free gaming night or net night when you take over to get the crowd in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah i now a good 5 people that whould be interested if you did gaming nights :)

I'll post back when we take over to setup a Lan night. :)

Advertisement