Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Mayhem - the building of a PC...

• 11-03-2003 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Ok - I need advice on the best parts to buy to turn my currently functional but inadequate machine into a kick-ass monster... no laughing at the back now, but my budget is €400...

here's my current spec

PIII 800
    Gateway Intel OEM mobo
    Win XP
    GeForce 3 Ti/200 128mb
    512mb SDRAM PC133
    1x 60gb 7200rpm UDMA IBM hdd
    1x 20gb 5400rpm hdd
    1x 30gb 5400rpm hdd
    Soundblaster 5.1
    Promise Ultra DMA controller card
    48xCDRW
    16x DVD

I'm not after RAID or that other new hard drive tchnology (ATA is it?), but totally require USB 2... I have a network card so no probs there...

My current thinking is MSI KT4V mobo and a palomino AMD2100 (1.73ghz) with 512mb DDR (2700) - this basically means I can get into clocking (which freaks me out - no idea where to start)... but I suppose everybody started off knowing nothing....

The above I can get for €350...

So - Am I on the right track? Advice please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You're on the right track. In fact what you are getting is exactley what I have, the KTV400, 2100 Palamino and 512 DDR 2700.

I would recomend go for the thoroughbred though, the lower temperatures alone make it worthwhile.

Don't skimp on a Heatsink for the CPU either, not on an AMD system.

Don't forget also, your current PSU may not be up to the job, you will need at least a 300W, most people will tell you more, I use a good 400W from a reputable name, however, I know guys with more powerful rigs and cheapo no-name 300W PSU's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Cool - my current PSU is a no name 300W - I'm thinking, if I can get the bread together, that I'll be getting a new case, PSU and a billion cooling fans somewhere down the line...

Another thought - I heard the Thoroughbread was not so good cos it was locked for clocking? I also heard that the AMD2200 1.8ghz suffered badly from overheating and was not reliable - is this true? Is the palomino a better option because of it's clocking capability? And would I be a mentalist (being a novice) by buying a water cooling system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Wait for the 'B' cores to become available in Europe. (none/few here yet as they selling like hotcakes in the US, greedy bastards ;) )

They are much better for overclocking and can easily gain 500mhz+ with the right cooling,mobo, psu etc
    I dont know much about them, only what ive been told which wasnt all that much.
    Maybe someone here can explain it better for the two of us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

TbredBs have been available on Komplett for quite some time. You have sure bets with the 2400 and above to get a TbredB.

On the low end, things used to be a little confusing. The 2200 is\was a TBredA (hence its bad rep), but the new 2100 and 1700 are most likely TbredBs.

Someone who purchased from Komplett (or elsewhere) recently will be able to tell us.

See here for info on the range available:
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/

All TBreds are unlocked from the factory btw (L1 Bridges arent cut). Its then down to mobo support to change the multiplier.

Matt

• Advertisement

I like it!

This is the kinda meat I need alright... keep it coming... it's amazing how much info is out there on performance, just as long as people point u in the right direction...

thx folks...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Matt simis
    All TBreds are unlocked from the factory btw (L1 Bridges arent cut). Its then down to mobo support to change the multiplier.

U mean TBredBs dont you, i have a xp 2000+ that i got in oct/nov from komplett. I no it's a TBred A but the chip WAS locked ( bridges cut ) therefore i couldnot overclock as much as i would like to ( cant change the multiplier),it's not only down to the mobo / but the via kt400 chipset will let you change the multi evan if the bridges are cut ( apart from the msi mobo )

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well, I suppose thats true, all TbredBs are unlocked and most newer TbredAs are.. doing a search on Google reveals a range of people claiming both locked\unlocked on TbredAs.

As it stands however, you should try to avoid TBredAs if at all possible.

Matt

Advertisement