Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a leased line?

Options
  • 11-03-2003 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hello,

My company is thinking of moving into a shared office building which has a 256k leased line installed.
    The company already in the building only use "2%" of this leased line and have no problems with us using the rest.
    They don't think sharing is going to be a problem, but I'm not too sure.

Is it possible to share a leased line? Can you have two static IP's, one for them and one for us?

Any help/comments appreciated.

Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

yep it is indeed - but you'll need to get another ip off of the isp the line is with if the company only has one assigned to the line - you might also look into using NAT. alot of the way it'll work depends on the existing equipment - if for example there's spare ports available etc - it's also a distinct possibility that they already have a bunch of ips for the line and you can just use one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

The trick with this one is to get your network attached to the internet but not attached to this other companies lan at the same time. You need to put your own firewall in at the point where the internet connection comes in. A second IP address while not vital would be very handy since you could then NAT off this connection to the internet and have no direct route to the other company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the firewall is a common shared service.

the firewall then maintains 2 subnets (one for each company)

the subnets are kept away from each other by the firewall

each subnet has rules on what is and insnt allowed on the leased line

also have a bandwidth throttle rule to ensure that neither dogs the 256k (2% usage me eye) ......

M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

2% of a 256k line, wouldnt surprise me, Probably only use it for sending emails.

Shesh

Advertisement