Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 206 - Opinions?

Options
  • 11-03-2003 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

My wife is keen on these but I've read some dodgy reviews about their performance and recalls etc.

Anyone got direct experience of the new model 206's and would you recommend them or not as a purchase? Thanks.

c0y0te

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

I have a 00 D reg 206, 5 door. Beautiful car. I have it 8 months now and haven't had any trouble with it at all. Handles well, has a beautiful interior compared to a lot of cars it's size. I bought it from a Peugeot dealer so when i got it it was in top shape. I would defo recommend it, if the size suits what you're looking for. My parents are buying one this year as a result of using mine.

BTW it's the LX model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I had a 206Gti for 8 months. It was a UK spec. 'V' reg (registered 2000). The performance was lively and it was great fun to drive. It was purchased new and in the first 6 months it went back to the garage 4 times. 3 times because the radio kept cutting out (no sound whatsoever) and once because the heat shield on the exhaust had come loose and was making a loud buzzing sound between 2,500 and 3,500 rpm.

So not madly reliable then, but both these faults were of a minor nature. 206 doesn't need servicing until 20,000 miles from new (in normal circumstances) which I found quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Big problem with a lot of the '99 models, my sister and a lot of her friends had these and they all had to be taken back to the garage to get the cpu fixed on them.

new cpu = €1100 + fitting the garage reckoned.

good few problems here and there with them, overall i wouldn't buy one but it would do the missus so to speak!

Farlz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Was that only the '99 models?

I was thinking of getting a new model for the wife, specifically to have a warrenty in case of any grief with the manufacturer / dealer.

Anyone experienced issues with a 2002 or later model?
    Thanks in advance.

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

I run a 106 GTi - and if it's anything to go by the early 206's are lucky to be still stuck together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I have heard of some horrible problems with them but that was a while back.

Do the smart thing and get her a VW/Audi group car and you'll never have a worry. Speaking of which I have a Seat Ibiza for sale if your interested :).

@Junior Hmmm I didn't know you where on here as well.

kayos

I feel i have to stick up for the oul 206 on this thread. As from above, i have a 206 (00 D) and would swear by it! Isn't there anyone else out there that thinks the same.... :( Between the 206 and VW Polo, they both hold their value better than any other car that size on the market, that says a lot about the quality of car it is...

P

Originally posted by kayos
    ...Do the smart thing and get her a VW/Audi group car and you'll never have a worry. ...

VW/Audi have their own reliablility problems too. For real reliablility you'd have to go to Japanese, Toyota or Honda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Why don't you just get her a good bicycle. That way then, as well as a mode of transport, she'll get there quicker and be a lot fitter... Plus it's a lot cheaper to run!:D

2 great points...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Unfortunately, my wife adheres to the classic *insert sexist reference here* view where she has particular cars that she wants, but has no idea of the reality/feasibility of such decisions.

Right now top of her list is a SMART car.. you know those pieces of tin foil on wheels? She likes the 'look of them', but of course no one in Ireland is currently distributing or supporting them (thank christ!).

After that she would want a VW beetle.. not the new ones, but one from either '72 or '76 - which were apparently good years for beetles. Again - no thought of the support or maintenance issues associated with them.

Since then the only car she has even nodded at is the new 206.. which I'm currently looking for opinions on because I've read a lot of reviews and feedback about them already which suggests they might be a 'troublesome options'. No disrespect intended to owners who have good 206's at present. We all know it's possible to get a Monday/Friday car in any make/model these days.

c0y0te

Women!

Ha ha mines the same. She likes "round" cars like the new/old beetle, new micra, Audi TT. Which is a problem since shes always needs more space than exists in these type of cars, whereas I could get around in a 2 seater quite happily.

Incidentally you can get an old bettle from emilo's beetles http://www.emiliosbeetles.com/ which is basically a new car from mexico. I htink you can get the body stuck on an old chassis and it then counts as a classic car for tax and insurance but I'm not 100% on that. Something I thought would make a cheap 2nd car to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Ok if you want good after sales/service then certainly stay away from Pug-oh. They are an in capabale shower of bastards. And thats from experience.

You want reliabilty buy any new car that is coming towards the end of its life cycle - such as a Golf - A3 etc. these cars have gone thru the troublesome new car routinue and are now about to be upgraded.

@Kayos - I am all seeing and all knowing - bow to me ;-)

Originally posted by Junior
    ...You want reliabilty buy any new car that is coming towards the end of its life cycle - such as a Golf - A3 etc. these cars have gone thru the troublesome new car routinue and are now about to be upgraded...

Yeah I have to agree with you on this one. Avoid all brand new cars until the model has been on sale at least 2-3 years. The've worked out all the gremlins by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ive had a 206 for 1 year- It was a 99 1.4 GLX model and I had so much hassle with it. Had to change an injector and the coil had to be changed twice - also had the usual problems with pugs - bearings and bushings....
    My cousin bought one a few months ago against my advice and it's been in and out of the garage a few times.

Kepp well away.

Advertisement