Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keegan and City: A New Dawn?

• 11-03-2003 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

What is the general consensus out there about Man City? I've been supporting the team for 10 years, and it's been a crazy ride. Now obviously its unfashionable (with so many bandwagon jumping reds out there to pour their unknowledgable scorn on City) but do other supporters think things are happening under Keegan?

Here are some facts...

Keegan gets team promoted in first season with record goals scored in 1st Division

Big name signings - Anelka, Fowler, Berkovic, Distin (ok - well Newcastle wanted him)

Safety assured (almost) by Christmas in first season back in Premiership

Next season sees move to 48000 stadium where season ticket waiting list is already 3 years

£40m secured on future ticket sales

and the bad news...

David Bernstien, our chairman and the guiding steady business hand behind city for the last 5 years, resigned last week because of disharmony about the direction management and board want to take - ie. some board memebers and especially Keegan want to spend A LOT of money - Bernstien was more cautious and hence his resignation...

Can City do it? Can they become a big 6 team again? Please, if you are a Utd fan, don't just post boastful crap about city are **** blah blah - in fact, what the hell - post it if u want, but only if you can tell me who your keeper was before Schmeical... then we'll see what class of fan you really are...

So - opinions please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

What class of fan if we cant name keeper before schmeichel. Guess your not allowed be young and support man u :p

Im not so sure spending huge amounts is the way to go, look at leeds ffs. They spent big and all for nought it seems.
    For Man City to be a top 6 side will take years of hard work imo and wise spending, not a splash and dash ...and drown.
    Tho i guess spending big could work.

Anything's possible tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Gary Bailey Gary Walsh Chris Turner

I think that City really needed Bernstein there to keep a firm reign on Keegans purse strings. I think Keegan is a good manager if he has noney to spend but I do not think he is capable of winning the championship. Two reasons for that, I dont think he has the bottle after the infamous outburst on Sky, and 2) he lost a 12 point lead to United. Oh and number three, he keeps forgetting you need defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

You can be as young as you want - I'm only into football for the last 10 years, so realistically i could be 17yo and even as a City fan I know Schmeicals predecessor...:p

But seriously, I'd agree with u, I think wise careful building is the better way to go on this, and as such am freaked by Bernstiens resignation... the Leeds comparison I think is very apt - big spending DOES NOT equal success...

Still - if someone had told me 3 years ago that City's strikeforce was going to be Anelka and Fowler I would have said they were dreaming...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

keegan is a great manager and man city have a good side!!! best of luck to them in the premiership! give them a couple of yrs and they will be finishing in the top 5 at least (if they keep improving like they did over the last few seasons!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

He really does forget about defenders alright!

I mean - next City game you watch, check out the movement of Distin - anyone else know centrebacks who regularly make runs to the oppositions corner flag and cross the ball? No me neither...

and its none of the Garys there... that's a long time b4 the great Dane...

I think Keegan possibly COULD do it, but at the moment I'm not even thinking of winning a league - I'm just thinking of City re-establishing them selves as a consistent top six finisher... if that happens we could think about league victory, but not before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

For the record i do know who the keeper was , i was just commenting on the fact that it was a bit of a silyl question imo :p

Les Sealy wasnt it?

I agree with the fact that Keegan needs to know in what games to defend. There are games when all out attack will work well, but not against the pace of Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I think Bernstein going was a sign of the bad shít thats going to happen to City.
    They may have all this nice looking things but Leeds were in a rosier position ie not relegation threatenen but in the CL.

Added that Keegan has never finsihed a contract with any club i cant see City returning to the big time.
    Not unless they get their money on order he has a good team he needs to make it better and not by spending stupid money on subs.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

and its none of the Garys there... that's a long time b4 the great Dane...

Sorry I have a mental block where Jim Leighton is concerned. Anyway Gary Walsh was not all that long, at one stage he was expected to take over from Leighton but he had a bad car crash.

As for Keegan being a great manager, I disagree. I think he is one of the best motivators in the business and will get the most out his players. But he only knows one way to play, and that is the Gung Ho way. He is tactically inept in my opinion.

Advertisement