Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So many members??

Options
  • 11-03-2003 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Just wondering....

I know from my own experience that there is at least 2 nicknames that are not being used anymore. There could possibly be alot more. Surely this is a waste of resources?? Also there might be other people who may want to use those nicknames for whatever reason.

Rgrds,
    A.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

this is something we think about a fair bit.

Obviously we dont have 13,000 active users. however identifying people who have given up and moved on is hard. Plus you would not believe the number of people who mail me (at least 2 a week) who say "I used to be called XYZ and I want to use that account again..."

Couple this with the relational database problem that if you delete users with posts... who will those posts be attributed to? The threads would be incomprehsible when people are referring to and quoting users that no longer exist.

We have users who visit but dont post (dont ask me why they registered but they seem to be professional lurkers)...

And users who joined last week but dont get round to visiting to this week...

We occasionally purge users who never visited and set up a couple of months prior.

As for resource usage... you have to be kidding! The space used to hold that info pales into insignificance compared to a *single* slydice special thread :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DeVore
    We have users who visit but dont post (dont ask me why they registered but they seem to be professional lurkers)...
    I met someone in real life who has been registered for yonks, but has very few posts, simply because by the time he gets around to commenting on something, someone else has said it already.

That said, why can't people even vote in polls if they don't feel up to posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

pm's are immediate as they are written and read from the same database. Mail is relayed from server to server and can (if unlucky) take quite a while to get there.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Victor
    I met someone in real life who has been registered for yonks, but has very few posts, simply because by the time he gets around to commenting on something, someone else has said it already.

That someone else usually being you?

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Wan logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by logic1
    That someone else usually being you?
    /me feels hurt :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Install that Stats script would love to see how many are active :)

kdjac

Advertisement