Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another fire surround quesion

Options
  • 11-03-2003 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

i've got a rock effect fire surround, similar to this one,

fireplace_cape_cod_grey.jpg

its crap, so i'm either gonna get a new surround or........ would it be possible to plaster over the surround, giving it a smooth efect.

has anyone heard of this being done before, or does anyone know any good diy forums, i've been searching, but they're prety crap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

"or does anyone know any good diy forums, i've been searching, but they're prety crap."

not this one of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wow it isn't as bad as I expected! I think it should plaster reasonably well, assuming yours is as rough textured as that one. If the stone is polished just nail (in the joints) some expanded metal lathing / sheeting onto the stone to key the plaster.

As you live in an apartment, make sure you are allowed do this (most apartment schemes have rules about DIY / alterations).

Not sure if plaster will look better. ;)

i got the idea from that new crown paint poster, seen it in town.

the fire surround is just a smooth block, very nice.

would plaster be ok, seeing as its a fire surround? could you use concrete?

"expanded metal lathing" not sure what this is, but i'm sure a plasterer would be able to sort it.

Originally posted by alienhead
    would plaster be ok, seeing as its a fire surround? could you use concrete?
    Anything in touch with flame should be part of the fire proof fireback (made from special concrete).
    Originally posted by alienhead
    "expanded metal lathing" not sure what this is, but i'm sure a plasterer would be able to sort it.
    EML is metal sheeting with holes in it and it is then stretched, it is standard stuff that the plasterer will know about. Go on what the plasterer says would be best for that purpose.

ta

• Advertisement

np

Advertisement