Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So.. What did ya think of the last Farscape then?

• 11-03-2003 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Me - I enjoyed it.

It's a shame to see such a great series go down the tubes because it didn't get the backing it needed to complete the fifth series.

It was an uncompromising ending, which stuck to the storyline of the 4th season without pandering to a 'false finish' because the fifth season was cancelled.

All in all - a great show. Pity it's all over.

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah i really enjoyed it too though i only saw a few of the episode on the BBC.
    Aside from the story line i always thought the sets and costumes\make up were excellent.

pity tis gone, was looking forward to the next series till they anounced over the final credits that that was the end. was hoping BBC was a season behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Great show. Its a crime that its being canned when utter drivel like Mutant X gets a second series.

As for last nights episode, very good way to end a seasion but a terriable way to end the entire series. Hopefully a movie or TV movie like the B5 ones, will be made to close the storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I suspect that Henson and Co. are holding out for someone to back them on the last series, or some sort of spinoff. Problem is that if the states don't want it.. it tends not to happen.

Anyone who enjoyed this series should check out http://www.play.com

I've purchased the entire series 1 to 3 DVDs there for great prices. I'll be collecting the current series in a few months when the prices drop.

Ah well - another quality sci-fi show vanishes :(

c0y0te

ps. Anyone recognise the species / alien that appeared in the last few seconds? I couldn't place it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

loved the series, it moved at quite a pace tho in the 3rd and 4th series but great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Farscape was the kind of show you either hated or loved. I loved it, i thought it was extremely original and daring given the current sc fi of nicely contained one hour episodes. The stories where brilliant with so many plot twists. IT really held my interest and didnt pander to the lowest common denominator like some shows, SG1 for example. theres going to be a cartoon and game but i dont know. The creators wouldn't comprismise and do a 15 show season instead of 22, have to respect them for that.

Anyway its a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

AW I LOVED IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

This is me been bold.

It put the last number of efforts appearing on screens for maybe 5 years in the bin including

The miserable excuse for SCI-FI ENTERPRICE
    (a show thats could turn me away from SCI-FI completely)

SG1 for about two years

And MUTANT X the equivalant of WWF to Real sports

I would prefer to have 15 eps of Farscape than nothing.

It has all the hallmarks of the original star trek.. before its time cut down and will probable make its comeback on the big screen about 5 years time. Keep a eye out for John and Dargos bellies..remember the Shatner.

Finally, I would rate it on par with B5, I miss my B5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

ENTERPRICE

So bad I refuse to even spell it correctly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Lawdie,

You know that B5 is available on DVD now at last right?

I've got Season 1 already, and season 2 is about to be released in early May. They are releasing each season approximately 6 months apart.

Well worth it at any price. B5 was the best show, with Farscape coming a close second.

c0y0te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by c0y0te
    I suspect that Henson and Co. are holding out for someone to back them on the last series, or some sort of spinoff. Problem is that if the states don't want it.. it tends not to happen.

Yup.

The problem is not the figures - the figures were good. The problem is twofold :

1) Series like Farscape and B5 tend to have more "story arc" episodes and fewer "the story is only the background as to why we're here" standalone eps. As a a result, it is far harder to tune into the series mid-way through a series, and indeed nigh-on-impossible if you have missed season one. As a result, viewer figures remain much "flatter" than with less long-term-story-focussed series. I know I cant watch SG1, because of having missed the transition from "basic idea" to "real story-focussed". I simply have too many WTF moments watching a story-centered episode from later series.

I dont know why this is. If this logic held true, then no-one could ever watch soaps! However, it does seem to hold true in space-sci-fi, fantasy, and most other OOTW-set series.

2) Farscape was (apparently) relatively expensive "per episode" to run. Dont ask me why or how....I just know that one of the reasons for it being canned was that other series costing 20-50 percent of Farscape were generating the same viewer figures, and therefore were better investments.

Oh well.

I havent seen the end of series 4 yet - being limited to seeing it on DVD release. Currently just after 4.7 (I think) - John Quixote. Series looks like it could be interestring, if they ever do anything with all these threads they keep dropping around the place.

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement