Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link 504 adsl router

Options
  • 11-03-2003 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

I have ordered this from IT direct.
    Peats and Marx Computers sell the same one afaik.
    All 3 shops told me they're flying out of stock, so I'm sure one of you is using one.
    how are they?
    difficult to use?
    what kind of pings will you get using it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

They're easy to setup, it uses some sort of web interface/setup thing from what I can remember.
    The pings won't really be affected by the router (unless it's total crap I guess), but rather the provider you're with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

I'm thinking of buying this router. Can anyone who has bought this router from an Irish reseller tell me if the RJ-11 cable works with an Eircom socket or is it a UK connector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

I was looking at the D-link 504 in IT direct today, it looks quite nice and has a 4 port switch built in, I have the Zoom X4 and an 8 port switch.

Cheers
    Will

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

yeah I have one, but I'm waiting for my blooming self install kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Hi all - I bought one of these a fortnight ago in Peats (I think they had 7 at that stage). Reports on the net seem to like it, and the web interface seems pretty straight forward.

Still though - its only being used as a switch at the mo as I'm still waiting (three weeks later) for Netsource to get the adsl link up.

----

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

I have the 604+ which I think is the same as the 504 but with wireless.

Straight forward to use although the documentation could be better, the main manual comes as a PDF on CD and does not detail every single setting in the admin settings! Some context sensitive help would be nice too.

All DSL connections are made using RJ-11 (standard phone connecter) and not that stupid British long plug thingy (anyone know the correct name for that BTW.), you could just plug it into your phone socket, but then you would have no phone.

But all in all a very nice piece of kit, of course the 504 could be completely different and I have just wasted 30 seconds of your time, sorry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I am using the 504, bought at Peats last October or so. It is on an Eircom Solo account.
    No problems setting it up whatsoever. It has been invisible in the setup since day 1. I did lock myself out of it once trying to configure something or other with the firewall and had to reset it manually but that was my stupidity.
    I would recommend it heartily for the price. It has a standard RJ11 port for the telco interface.
    iwb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by MrB
    All DSL connections are made using RJ-11 (standard phone connecter) and not that stupid British long plug thingy (anyone know the correct name for that BTW.)
    It's called BEC1 ;) (as in bambino's electric chair).

The socket opening is big enough (far bigger than a mains electricity socket hole or RJ11) for an inquisitive small child to put their finger in. If the phone line is ringing at the same time they might get zapped with about 100v - maybe more in certain cases.

Expect to see more and more of them being installed as Ireland Inc shuts down and the British "high street" mafia take over.

zz..

Advertisement