Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im dead

• 11-03-2003 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I need advice.Im 16,dont give a damn and i dont even know what an isoceles triangle is.Thats not my only problem.I dont give a tuppence aboot school.Im falling way way behind.One more year and its da dole.I even failed the junior.As u can see im in a bit of a pickle.I wanna go do something like programming but i dont wanna conform.I have a headmaster and hes a di<khead.He will suspend u if u fart.Im wasting away.Is there anyone in the same situation?Somebody anybody.help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

if your doing the LC at 16 then fair play to ya !

if your not failing the LC doesnt really make a whole lot of difference. if you really wana make it to programming theres a few avenues to go down

fail the LC, repeat it, get nuff points to goto ANY college and at least get a start. i got into waterford IT back in 99 when the points where only 250, so i was 100+ over it. im not up on the points at the mo, but i assume they are around the same.
    a bare pass would get you into something

another route is mature student application and distance learning, tho your career guidance person would be best suited to talk to you about this.

stephen is pretty hand at this craic too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Stanley_kubrick

Thanx dude.I need my programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You got 2 choices, basically. Personally I'd recommend trying the first one first, because you can try the second whenever you like but have to sit around for a year to repeat the Leaving Cert, but that's just me.

You can resolve to do your very best in the areas of the leaving cert that either interest you or will give you some knowledge of programming. Do enough in the other subjects to pass them and fulfill the requirements of whatever college you have your eye on, and see what happens.

Or you can try and teach yourself. There's plenty of books out there on programming, and there's plenty of source code scattered about the internet to let you try some hands on coding and really see how stuff works. You obviously have computer access, and if you're in school this long you can surely read. There are websites dedicated to teaching people how to program, and you're sure to find a couple of people willing to lend a hand now and again.

Either way, do what you believe is right, and try your best. Be warned though, college is far from a big party. You're often graded on attendance to lectures, and lecturers themselves tell you very little except that there are books in the library. School will teach you stuff, but in college you have to go find stuff out yourself, often by spending hours in the library with a pile of books.The only reason I'm typing this now is because I'm taking a break from writing up a project that makes up nearly half my final grade...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Stanley_kubrick

U guys have been cool and helpfull.I thank the bejaysus outta ye.

Advertisement