Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is IBB going wrong

Options
  • 11-03-2003 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

I was told before that the both leap and IBB are using the same sort of tec/kit and if so how come leap is able to reach customers as far as newlands cross form their transmitters while IBB seem to have more and closer ones than leap but yet their coverage map is queit limited from all their sites

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 brooding-spirit

I would believe everything they tell you from Leap .

I was told that they would have service to Dublin 15 and have been strung along for 5 months.

Finally ordered my service last week - got all happy about the whole thing - only to be phoned and told that 3 rock won't reach this far.

Pah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

I understand you regarding "believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see and you will do all right in life" but with regard to IIB+Leap using the same type of kit I got from users,either way its not a your right Im wrong rant just loved to know what is the story.I have not got round to getting the ordance map out yet but even as the crow flies it has to be a good few Km out to Naas rd as apposed to IIB's limited range.I suppose we would all like IIB considering their competitive pricing and low contention ratios but I know "quozl" had some issues with IIB's service off the RTE tower as the ping times where quiet a bit higher than the 3rock one

Originally posted by crazyasafox
    I understand you regarding "believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see and you will do all right in life" but with regard to IIB+Leap using the same type of kit I got from users,either way its not a your right Im wrong rant just loved to know what is the story.I have not got round to getting the ordance map out yet but even as the crow flies it has to be a good few Km out to Naas rd as apposed to IIB's limited range.I suppose we would all like IIB considering their competitive pricing and low contention ratios but I know "quozl" had some issues with IIB's service off the RTE tower as the ping times where quiet a bit higher than the 3rock one

Oh no mate - don't get me wrong, the comment wasn't meant like that. I'm just fed up of being force feb sales BS from these guys - and didn't want someone else having their time wasted and hopes dashed.

as for the kit? I dunno - I was lead to believe that wireless kit was fairly much standard. 802.11a & b....

No doubt someone will tell me I'm wrong :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

OK
    top secret leak:
    my mates who have a flat up near mountjoy? is it.. um i dunno, north side anyway. the roof of their flat, is gonna be first node of IBB on the northside. which means they intend to expand to the untapped northside market.

of course my mates could be lying, but i dont think they are.
    oh, the IBB guy could have lied to them too, but they didn't think he was.

Originally posted by saik
    OK
    top secret leak:
    my mates who have a flat up near mountjoy? is it.. um i dunno, north side anyway. the roof of their flat, is gonna be first node of IBB on the northside. which means they intend to expand to the untapped northside market.

of course my mates could be lying, but i dont think they are.
    oh, the IBB guy could have lied to them too, but they didn't think he was.

I'd offer the roof of my house -- if i thought i'd get connected quicker..

(even think about using my granny as the antenna..) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I was told before that the both leap and IBB are using the same sort of tec/kit and if so how come leap is able to reach customers as far as newlands cross form their transmitters while IBB seem to have more and closer ones than leap but yet their coverage map is queit limited from all their sites

It could be that Leap are in the 5.8ghz spectrum and IBB are in 2.5ghz, both are in the unlicenced, but the power allowences in 5.8 are higher, allowing a longer range. This is probably why leap can broadcast further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by saik
    OK
    top secret leak:

A Thick Concrete Roof are a wunnerful thing I always say. It would be simpler and a lot cheaper if IBB slung some ethernet cable down to your mates....

Post back in here in the Autumn when it is commissioned !

M

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    Originally posted by dRNk SAnTA
    It could be that Leap are in the 5.8ghz spectrum and IBB are in 2.5ghz, both are in the unlicenced, but the power allowences in 5.8 are higher, allowing a longer range. This is probably why leap can broadcast further.

I just had a look in the spec-sheet of my LEAP Subscriber Unit
    (Aperto Packetwave 100)

Frequency: 2.5 - 2.6: Range up to 18.7 kilometers
    Frequency 3.4 - 3.7: Range up to 16,9 Kilometers
    Frequency 5.7 - 5.9: Range up to 13.2 Kilometers.
    The higher the freq. the shorter the range.

But I don't know wich freq. LEAP is using.

As far as I know: Trees (the leaves), Buildings etc. disturb the signal.
    So it is possible that you don't get a connection.

jochen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well i rang ibb and they said they might actually be able to reach me from the rte station. Now im well over 5 km from there. so those coverage ranges are only a guide. if you really want to know if your in range, ring them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 original gadget

Originally posted by Boston
    Well i rang ibb and they said they might actually be able to reach me from the rte station. Now im well over 5 km from there. so those coverage ranges are only a guide. if you really want to know if your in range, ring them

I think IBB sales staff will tell u this even if you ring from the middle of Lough Corrib!! The truth is they have feck all idea where they can reach until they do a LOS. I'm told that even a wrongly positioned tree can prevent IBB from reaching you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Well yes, thats generally what LOS (line of sight) means. Unobstructed view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

I wonder how much the LOS would mean if you are within a very short range of the transmitter, say 100-200 meters?
    Would hope IBB or LEAP would put up some equipment in the IFSC soon, we have loads of tall buildings and i am sure the IFSC is not short of fibre :D
    Would be easy to find customers here also with the new National college and loads of rich people who can easily afford the instalation fee, so pleae IBB, considder it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by dRNk SAnTA
    It could be that Leap are in the 5.8ghz spectrum and IBB are in 2.5ghz, both are in the unlicenced, but the power allowences in 5.8 are higher, allowing a longer range.

They're both 2.4gig, and although you can have higher output power with 5.8gig the signal attenuates much faster so it still doesn't go as far.

Leap use WISP technology, I'd guess from breezecom? It's 2.4 gig but it's more resiliant to interfernece than 802.11b (it's channel hopping I think, not spread spectrum). IBB definately use BreezeCOM Wisp stuff on the RTE tower, and I think the intention was to use it on new sites, so I'd guess the new ones use it too. Last I heard 3rock was on 802.11b, but maybe they're going to (or have) swapped the technology? Anyone on 3rock have them come out and replace your transmitter?

Don't see any reason why Leap can connect from further than IBB, same equipment and all. Unless leap have better sites? Maybe higher up 3rock? Maybe higher up rte mast? Or maybe they don't ask for as high a signal to noise ratio as IBB?

I'd be inclined to guess that they both cover much the same area from the same site, just IBB are swamped and are only installing the really easy ones for the moment?
    Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Good point quozl,as IBB is about 50% cheaper than leap and as you say it makes sence to take the easy route first

Good point quozl,as IBB is about 50% cheaper than leap and as you say it makes sence to take the easy route first

I agree; it makes perfect commercial sense.

However, I suppose it's the case; when you starve a population for foodl; even the red cross are the bad guys when they don't have enough apples....

(bad line - i'm a lover not a philosopher...)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by original gadget
    I think IBB sales staff will tell u this even if you ring from the middle of Lough Corrib!! The truth is they have feck all idea where they can reach until they do a LOS. I'm told that even a wrongly positioned tree can prevent IBB from reaching you!

How insightfully ignorant of you. Next you will tell me that rain and cloud cover will stop my internet from working. I asked them was there anybody close to my locatio nthat had the service and there was. This is what im basicing this on. I know full well that i may not actually be able to get the service because of other problems but i am, it appears, within range, which is what we are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

seems Leap don't just operate in the 2.4 gig spectrum. A friend of mine in saggart is connected to the RTE tower using he says 5.9 gig. Pretty impressive distance. He says leap have got the license for this spectrum. This is all 2nd hand, but he is a radio ham and radio professional, so he's unlikely to be much wrong,
    Greg

Advertisement