Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censorship here...

Options
  • 12-03-2003 12:03am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From Tomf
    Taking my cue from moderators who have posted nice long columns from newspapers to support positions they favour, I am hoping the below will remain on the board for longer than a few hours. It's great reading, and was lifted from the Washington Post newspaper.

Excuse me... dont hit and run.

If you have an instance where the moderators have removed something because of its political content I'd like you to tell me and I'll act on it. (I dont consider rascism to be "political content" btw... I would hope noone does)

I really doubt you can because otherwise just about NOTHING from Sand and Biffa and others would be left to see here.

Of course Gandalf and Bonkey have political opinions and I for one am glad that they have sufficent political interest to slave over the threads here and keep this one of the last bastions of free discussion of politics on the Irish Internet.

I think they are exemplary mods given the circumstances and I find your insinuation that there is backdoor censorship to be insulting to them.

More, I find it a plea to emotion that might people treat your argument with more goodwill then it deserves as you attempt to portray yourself labouring under some cruel oppressors yoke.

Finally I find the insinuation both distasteful and insulting to the admins of boards.ie, that we are at best ignorant of such censorship or at worst encouraging it... doubtless as part of my Pro-Loyalist tendencies.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Of course Gandalf and Bonkey have political opinions
    Indeed.

Devore is referring to this thread. I was about to reply, but someone else managed to do the job for me. Tomf was referring to part of the boards charter
    Topics should not be verbatim quotes from some article sans comment
    The "sans comment" is the crucial factor here. We don't want to see article after article being "spammed" so to speak on the politics board. However, if a person is willing to put in the time and energy to express an opinion about an article, then we usually let it slide, since it demonstrates that that person has a willingness to debate the issue. All too often, a person leaves an article, without any comment, and when it is challenged (since we have people from all sides of the political spectrum who post here) the original poster cannot back up his own arguments (if any).

If you were merely referring to this charter, then I can understand why you thought that gandalf (for example) was in contravention of this charter. He wasn't. Another quote from the charter:
    The moderators will not discuss their moderating in the Politics threads. Either PM the moderators, or take it to the Admin forum.
    Moderators will not moderate anything which is directed at the moderators themselves. The issue will be taken up with the individual via PM, and/or taken to the Admins to be dealt with.
    There are very well defined procedures in place when it comes to complaining about mods. None of them encourage posting in the board that those mods moderate. Either you were unaware of this, or just wanted to get in a snide comment about the actions of moderators. Either way, I don't want to see a repeat.

Now DeVore, no offence, but I think you've made your point. Thread locked.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Except I forgot I'd made you politics mod too... doh! Could everyone please add "and swiss" to "Gandalf and Bonkey" in hte above piece.

Oh yeah and pffffffff :p~~ to you swiss, mod locks dont stop admins from replying nyah nyaah ny nyaah nah!

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement